One of my Zen Lights has died!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got home tonight and wanted to put on some music and relax and flipped on the Zen lights and one bank of bulbs light up brighter then the other bank and faster! i flipped it off and waited a sec and flipped it on again and one bank of three bulbs just lights up bright immediately. So I am assuming one channel has died? I will have to crack it open tomorrow and investigate.

Zc

Last edited:
N.P. should I remove the screws from the top or the bottom of the heatsink to open? IE will the top panel come off by itself if I remove the wood screws on the left side and the machine screws from the heatsink on the right side.

or should I remove the wood screws on the left side and the machine screws from the bottom of the heatsink and try and pull the top and heatsink off as one piece??

Not sure how it is connected inside if it makes a difference??

Zc

Here is a pic!

Attachments

• Zen Lite 2.jpg
    Zen Lite 2.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 427
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have specified the IRFP240 MOSFET transistor in Figure 5, but a wide range of similar N channel devices will work fine. The best performance is obtained with the IRFP040 or IRFP044, but unfortunately they seem very difficult to get. An in-between alternative is the IRFP140. When substituting other MOSFETs, the Gate to Source pin operating voltage becomes an important consideration. We will want a Drain voltage of about 12 to 15 volts, and if the Vgs of the MOSFET chosen is very different from about 4 volts, you will need to adjust the value of R1. Decreasing R1 will raise the Drain voltage, and of course increasing R1 will lower the Drain voltage.

I bought some IRFP044N's which look to be the closest I can find. I'm still hoping to find someone with one or two of these they would be willing to part with.

The thing that bothers me is that I don't know WHY it failed? I can find nothing wrong with the circuit. all parts seem to be within tolerance. I need to observe voltages at turn on and turn off to see if there is maybe a spike that is causing problems. The heatsinks do run very very warm. and I am running these with a 4 ohm load. So maybe im pushing the limits of what these can do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.