To DIY, or OEM PASS? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2012, 10:42 PM   #1
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default To DIY, or OEM PASS?

I figure I want to round out my Nakamichi ST-7 & CA-5 with an amp designed by our friend Mr. Pass. I have other amps designed by most of the names that are recognized. (Jim, John, Erno etc) The PA-5 comes to mind. I thought about a smaller Adcom, but sorry to say, I really don't like the larger ones so I was not going to jump. The Thresholds are pretty tough on the budget, considering anything that old needs at least caps, it adds up quick. Or do I jump on one of these "hot" DIY jobs?

I am using a modified DH-120 right now. No one has convinced me I need a kazillion Watts, but my 6P1 tube amp won't cut it either. Smooth is the word of the day as some of my big-band and a lot of older CD's can make some amps a tad edgy. Source is a NAD 565 CD, with or without a BurrBrown external DAC. Speakers will be my own. I call them SR-72 as they are very similar to the Zaph SR-71, just a few steps beyond. I have so many speaker and other projects going, I don't want to go as far as etching boards. I would just never get to it.

So what's the word over here in Pass-land; used, modded, or scratch? I'm partly fishing for word on how good the PA-5 was. The Hafler is several steps above it's original design, and I could always use one of my many slightly cleaned up Rotel 951's as they are beguine, if not very detailed. I want more.
Old 27th July 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
well, the site is diyaudio.com
Old 28th July 2012, 12:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I say build your own Papa Amp from scratch. There is a lot of variety of models to choose from. There is an extensive library of articles. There are finished circuit boards around, and plenty of very experienced builders to help out if you get stuck. And, to quote Papa himself; "Put on some sun screen, and come on in. The water's fine."
Old 28th July 2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Banned

Check out the diyaudio store. There are few options for you to consider regarding Nelson Pass designs

http://www.diyaudio.com/store/

Last edited by Melon Head; 28th July 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 28th July 2012, 01:51 PM   #5
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
soft start and speaker protection boards, both for $20! sweet!
Old 28th July 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiros View Post
soft start and speaker protection boards, both for $20! sweet!
Some love the protection boards, purists hate them. Soft start boards aren't realy necessary with transformers up to 500VA per channel.

The original Pass amps don't have the protection boards but do have soft start circuitry.

A correctly built Pass amp wont need protection but may need soft start.

My Aleph 4 has neither and has 2 x 500VA transformers - Dual Mono configuration.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 28th July 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 28th July 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

500VA pr chassis. not pr ch (230V 16A) and it realy depends on cap bank.
i tryed 1000VA 40.000uF. the fuse hold 1 of 10 times
Old 28th July 2012, 02:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've got a single chassis with 2 x 500VA connected in parallel across 240V. The 10A fuse has held for over 5 years.

The cap bank is 4 x 3 x 33000uF, i.e 100 000uF x 4 (for four rails)

If you read the original post, the originator is unlikely to be building of of Nelsons' leviathons so he probably wont need a soft start. If he has problems with fuses then he can consider adding soft start later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSIR0162.JPG (226.6 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by KatieandDad; 28th July 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 28th July 2012, 02:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

without any NTC or nothing?
Old 28th July 2012, 02:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
without any NTC or nothing?
Absolutely nothing. Well it does have an RFI mains input socket, then the 15A switch then the 10A fuse then to both transformers.

There is a 90 Degree Thermal Trip in the circuit but that is doing nothing to supress the mains turn on current.

It is possible that the 2.2mH chokes are acting to limit the turn on current, as they are air cored they do have slight resistance. The bolts in the photo have been replaced by M10 nylon studding.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 28th July 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!