To DIY, or OEM PASS? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2012, 03:45 PM   #21
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
i want to discuss this further but i don't want to clog up this thread, it wouldn't be right. care to join me in another thread?
Old 28th July 2012, 03:57 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Getting back to the original thread.

Class A amps will generally be expensive to build because of their PSU and heatsink requirements.
Old 28th July 2012, 04:00 PM   #23
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Sure. Or PM if you like.

So, back to why I started this thread, would you rather have an F5 series, or a Nak PA-5, Levinson L-11, Parasound 1200, Aarogon 2002, or a Linn 5105? Just some of the options in the price range realizing all the old amps need caps. Nothing out there today I can afford is out of the box. Threshold and Krell out out of range as would be any current OEM Pass unit. I may have class A tastes, but AB budget.

I used a light bulb for the load in a soft start for a sub amp I built in the 70's. it had 1F on each rail and torroid transformers. Both mistakes. It was immune to sagging lines though.
Old 28th July 2012, 04:03 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

All nice amps. Pass is the only amp that has it's designers DIY backing. The F5 is a nice amp but it does have its limitations.

The commercial designs ? you will need to listen to them or rely upon reviews to know what they might sound like.

My family had a clone of one of ML designs (not an original), it was OK but was surpassed in EVERY detail by the Pass Aleph 4 built by my Brother-in-Law.
Old 28th July 2012, 04:22 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, I have lost all faith in reviewers evaluations.

What would you say the limitations are of the F5 range? Power is not the problem, and my loads are well behaved.

Would some DIY SOP work to clean up an Adcom 535 have decent results, or is that just trying to make a mass market cheap amp something it isn't?
Old 28th July 2012, 04:25 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

The F5 likes easy high efficiency loads.

Couple it with a decent pair of British low efficiency speakers and it just lacks the power to drive them fully.

Hence my B-I-L went for the Aleph 4, it's 100W/Channel of Class A and copes beautifully with low efficiency loads, but it comes at a price. 2 x 100W of Class A power gives about 400W of heat to the living room.

The F5 is only 25W/Channel which should be more than enough with reasonably efficient speakers.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 28th July 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 28th July 2012, 04:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

one can get the F5 at the same power too
soundwise, F5 is better then aleph series in my ears.
i run a F5 with higher bias on low efficiency speakers(88db) that is no problem. but you will need a preamp with a lot of gain to drive the amp full. and/or boost up the gain in the F5
Old 28th July 2012, 04:40 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I built the F5 and didn't like it.

That is the subjective nature of amplifiers though and nothing to do with the design.
Old 28th July 2012, 04:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Well, the CA-5 has plenty of drive. 400W space heater is not too good in my old house without sufficient ductwork. Keeps me away from bottles.

My speakers are't terribly efficient, but because in this case I don't need much BSC, so they are better than usual. 88dB in not low efficiency in today's market, it is rather high.
Old 28th July 2012, 05:17 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

88db is on the low side with classA.
that is often low wattage amps.

Hide this!Advertise here!