Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2012, 10:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EMI filtering and voltage regulation in Pass amps and preamps

As I understand, Pass amps and preamps have built in EMI / RF filtering and the newer preamps employ voltage regulation. My question is whether this is unique to Pass products or other manufacturers employ these too? With so many 3rd party power products / conditioners out there, why build this into the amps / preamps? If the amps / preamps are then plugged into an outboard power conditioner, doesn't it end up making things worse?

Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:03 PM   #2
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spheres View Post
As I understand, Pass amps and preamps have built in EMI / RF filtering and the newer preamps employ voltage regulation. My question is whether this is unique to Pass products or other manufacturers employ these too? With so many 3rd party power products / conditioners out there, why build this into the amps / preamps? If the amps / preamps are then plugged into an outboard power conditioner, doesn't it end up making things worse?

Thanks.
I don't think so You can always use conditionner if you want to
But some are said to be worst than others. I wouldn't know

Voltage reg is common nowadays in preamps, and the voltage reg itself can filter most of the line noise.
Plus, Papa often uses a line capacitor parallel to primary winding in diy designs. It can't be a bad thing !

Last, but not least, bandwidth of the electronics are often set to get 100kHz or 200kHz @ -3dB, this prevents most of RF interference too

Use a conditionner if you think it helps the sound. In some regions mains is cleaner than in others so YMMV.

A DC block on the AC line is still a good idea though. Nothing to see with EMI/RFI but can be helpful

Best,

nAr

Hide this!Advertise here!