EMI filtering and voltage regulation in Pass amps and preamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I understand, Pass amps and preamps have built in EMI / RF filtering and the newer preamps employ voltage regulation. My question is whether this is unique to Pass products or other manufacturers employ these too? With so many 3rd party power products / conditioners out there, why build this into the amps / preamps? If the amps / preamps are then plugged into an outboard power conditioner, doesn't it end up making things worse?

Thanks.

As I understand, Pass amps and preamps have built in EMI / RF filtering and the newer preamps employ voltage regulation. My question is whether this is unique to Pass products or other manufacturers employ these too? With so many 3rd party power products / conditioners out there, why build this into the amps / preamps? If the amps / preamps are then plugged into an outboard power conditioner, doesn't it end up making things worse?

Thanks.

I don't think so :) You can always use conditionner if you want to :)
But some are said to be worst than others. I wouldn't know :)

Voltage reg is common nowadays in preamps, and the voltage reg itself can filter most of the line noise.
Plus, Papa often uses a line capacitor parallel to primary winding in diy designs. It can't be a bad thing ! :)

Last, but not least, bandwidth of the electronics are often set to get 100kHz or 200kHz @ -3dB, this prevents most of RF interference too ;)

Use a conditionner if you think it helps the sound. In some regions mains is cleaner than in others so YMMV.

A DC block on the AC line is still a good idea though. Nothing to see with EMI/RFI but can be helpful

Best,

nAr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.