F6 Amplifier

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have slight impression ( NB that I'm often completely wrong :rofl: ) that you boyz are recently too much in over-engineering (gray) area ......... (been too many times in that trap , while Pa is laughing) :

Hi ZM, I can tell you the point when I started with over-engineering....

It is the desperate search why his originals I heard sounded better than my clones.......
That is a big impulse to look in the bread crumbs like a hungry wolf.....:D

So over engineering might happen, when you did not find the point yet!!

Last edited:
Hi ZM, I can tell you the point when I started with over-engineering....

It is the desperate search why his originals I heard sounded better than my clones.......
That is a big impulse to look in the bread crumbs like a hungry wolf.....:D

So over engineering might happen, when you did not find the point yet!!
Hi generg. Does the underlined mean that you heard Mr. Pass's originals in your "music room" like you do now with your clones?. And have you also heard your clones in the same music room the originals were playing in? If no in both cases, I am afraid additional relevant variables were at play. Recall that Mr. Ebaen was not fond of the sound of an original M2 like DIYers reported for their M2 clones.

Generg had F3 , F6 and M2 - all originals , at home .

regarding 6M. articles - I had impression that M2 was Srajan's least loved FW amp .......
Thanks ZM. The search is on for generg to reconcile the performance difference(s) between his original F6 and his clone. Do the amps weigh the same; heat capacity and thermal mass are at play? Does the original expel heat as well as his clone? Lots of questions.

I agree that Mr. Ebaen loved M2 the least. But; are there diy clones of M2? It has a unique auto transformer which is not off the shelf, and its schematic is unknown to diy. So, my earlier comment that diyclones of M2 exist is not right. Thus, there is no feedback from DIYers to compare with Mr. Ebaen's report.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Damn lucky Golden EAr

yeah

lucky bstrd

but , if you ask me , he deserve that luck ;)

Thanks ZM. The search is on for generg to reconcile the performance difference(s) between his original F6 and his clone. Do the amps weigh the same; heat capacity and thermal mass are at play? Does the original expel heat as well as his clone? Lots of questions.

safe temp and safe VA in PSU are all I'm finding relevant
THD spectra , of course , in different (and final ) realm

I agree that Mr. Ebaen loved M2 the least. But; are there diy clones of M2? It has a unique auto transformer which is not off the shelf, and its schematic is unknown to diy. So, my earlier comment that diyclones of M2 exist is not right. Thus, there is no feedback from DIYers to compare with Mr. Ebaen's report.

boyz already tried that , mainly with F4 skeletons

Generg will know name of the thread , while I had some (similar) fun with http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/174674-papas-koan-papas-surprise-2.html#post2356057

however , Real McCay is having few twists more , not necessarily apparent in sonics , but in safety of operation and overload behavior

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Generg had F3 , F6 and M2 - all originals , at home .

regarding 6M. articles - I had impression that M2 was Srajan's least loved FW amp .......

F3, J2 and M2....... I had the pleasure to hear.

Doing so, you have to recover a bit to build again yourself.

But the worst case, do you agree? Would be to buy one and the whole affair stops.......married with one amplifier, is this possible?

:D:D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This was my starting point.... For coming nearer to the M2. Replacing the active VAS with a passive autoformer.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/188109-introducing-magma-front-end-ba-2-f4.html

Friend Dan here from the forum, living in Canada will care for some Plitrons for me, used normally in the FW series, the next weeks. In a few weeks more I will know how big their contribution to the good sound of Nelson's FWs is.

Unfortunately they have an order limit of 250 CA$ minimum, and crazy high postal fees.

Only with Dan's help I can afford this....:):)

Here is a teaser:

Attachments

• Teaser6CC-sch.jpg
    Teaser6CC-sch.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 358