F6 Amplifier

Perhaps these posts are somewhat off-thread, but unless someone suggests a new thread, here they are:

Here are some Spice simulation resulted for the schematic shown in post #4367 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/216616-f6-amplifier-437.html#post3516867. The plots are:

• Harmonics vs. frequency at 1 watt into 8 ohms.
  • Harmonics vs. frequency at 10 watts into 8 ohms.
  • Harmonics vs. power at 1 kHz.
  • Harmonics vs. power at 7 kHz.
Note how H3 remains rather constant vs. frequency and H2 increases nearly linearly with frequency above 1 kHz. If one were to build a bridged ( balanced) amplifier from this in order to cancel most of H2, the result would even more impressive.

I will perform similar simulations without cascoding.

lhquam, of interest are OLG and the attendant power bandwidth.

Here are the plots for the cascoded version:

Attachments

• F6p5-FQA2836-cascode-2-plots.jpg
    F6p5-FQA2836-cascode-2-plots.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 357
cool stuff.... the pass cascode and a75 articles are worth a read here also. Lhquam - what output FET and voltage rails are you using - cannot quite make out from the charts even though im squinting :)

Go back to post #4367 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/216616-f6-amplifier-437.html#post3516867.
The output FETs are FQA28N15 and FQA36P15. Rail voltages are 24V.

BTW: The upward bends above 16 watts in the Harmonics-vs-watts plots is due to approaching class B in the cascoded circuit. I should have added some additional wattage values between 16 and 25 watts to show this.

Haven't heard any original Pass amps, nor the SiT amps, but have heard F5, F5T, and J2 clones, and I think he nailed it on the head. The F6 seems to be a wonderful mix of ideas, most of which, are old in nature. It has power of F5T, but soul of AJ/J2/Zen amps. I want to build M2 despite its relative performance, as I wonder how much influence the transformer has on its sound. Gonna try same laterals in it that wil be tried in next F6. Exicon is the brand.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM. You are done building? What about that SIT amp from Japan you sent a link to Semisouthfan. .....

I have one ( now pretty beaten) MDF plate , with enough space for puttin' PSU , decent heatsink and whatever Ikebana shebang I decide to do ; due to space and speed/time constrains , all of them always mono :clown:
amongst numerous prior Papamps , I also made quickie Babelfish F6 , with Iskra repeater

it sounded flawlessly , behaved as predicted
I didn't measured it (except usual sine/square/clip CRO observation , needed for functionality test) , lazy to do that

..... Maybe NP will mass produce his SIT and offer for sale, for non-commercial use.:)

moi wouldn't hold my breath , expecting that ; in these tough(er) economy times , even Pa's Xmass spirit is having some boundaries :devily:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Srajan Ebaen Really knows how to write again and again in a very clever way about the everlasting problem "how sounds the amp".
It was a pleasure to read his F6 article.
Would be niece when Papa Nelson would explain a bit how he trimmed this "final" F6.

I can't follow Srajan in one point. For my ears the M2 does a kind of detail and presence and directness, despite his warm characte that is unique. And I do not find the sound "retro" oriented.
With the M2, I had always the feeling to sit in the first row, the sax blowing me away!
And indeed I find the sound of the F6 a bit damped.

So for me Nelson succeeded with the M2 also to hit the eye of the bull!

But maybe I did not yet find the right punch for the F6....

:D:D

The F6 I am listening to now throws an enormous negative sound stage. Placement front to back is happening in the space behind the speakers. If i pull them out into the middle of the long part of my den, about 15' from the wall, the soundstage can push that far back. It is like sitting on at local pub listening to jazz ensemble. You get feeling of perspective distance of players on stage. It is also very wide in its presentation. Seems to be limited by listetning space. IMHO, listening height is largely determined by 2nd/3rd harmonic ratio. Tune to your taste. Front to back presentation is largely detemined by phase of that harmonic, as i believe Nelson talked about in the original presentation. I am looking forward tot he M2. Tempted to do it first, but must finish Funny BA#.

BTW, Sound seems to get better on my FR system, as I think they are better for voicing amps than anything I have heard. Once you get to know your speaker, hearing the amp is quite easy.