F6 Amplifier

THanks to mighty ZM. This is next on list. will try to have it up and running in month after GB stuff. I cant wait.

Attachments

• Babelfish-F6X-concept-LTSpi.jpg
    Babelfish-F6X-concept-LTSpi.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 391
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lhquam is right ; I was avare of that from first moment when I go down with modulation ..... but I think it is small price having offset to gnd modulated with ripple , if we can go through just one core with signal

whatever - Bzzzzz will soon ( hopefully ) compare two things and then we'll know

in a meantime , we can search for 6-fillar wound repeater

if boyz from Jensen made 4-fillar , maybe they already have 6-fillar or can be asked to make it ;)

that one will be ideal for proper full bal F6 , with no flaws

Just keep in mind that transformers are summing devices What one winding finds will affect all. All "secondaries" and "primaries" talk among themselves, so be very certain that you do not build a resonance circuit across 5 or more windings.

As an addendum, we don't usually build multifilar wound transformers. This format does provide nice, civil, linear responding devices, just like nice, civil, linear responding power transformers do. I prefer to make meta stable devices. They do not measure as well, they are not civil and they will respond to every half wave with the enthusiasm that linear transformers can muster for only the first half wave of any sinusoidal event.

Doesn't mean I won't make a 6 filar transformer. They will not oscillate in resonance, by the way. They will still be metastable, but the E Field coupling, hence ALL of the internal gradient information for tones and transients will be somewhat compromised.

Metastable here means always returning to B zero at the same time that H reaches zero, so every half wave has that funny looking little initiating squiggle that you see on the hysteresis plots of nice, civil, linear transformers for the initial movement from their rest. These squiggles are present for each half of a square wave also.....

Bud

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK guyzzz

made it - proper balanced , either with 5-fiillar or 6-fillar

or , to not put a foot in BudP's territory - I don't care are they *-fillar or sectioned , as long they're good

I have no intention , same as I didn't had cojones any time before , to mess with Black Art ..... :clown:

so , to put it in other way - proper balanced is possible with both 5 and 6 identical windings on one core

problem is - no so called summing feedback node ( two 18R resistors coneccted together and being one to another virtual gnd ) but instead of that - inverting feedback net must be used ;

but - as we already wrote before and BudP confirmed - everything is summing up through common core for all windings :rofl:

are you guys interested in schmtcs ?

they're , shortly said , pretty much same as that previously posted one , except added one , or two , input modulating windings

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
disclaimer(s) :

- sim made by Mighty ZM , so ........ be warned ! :rofl:

- best feedback values/ratio yet to be determined ..... preferably in vivo

somehow , I think I prefer more 5-windings iteration

gnd is , anyway , just state of mind :clown:

Attachments

• Babelfish-F6-Bal-5-windings.jpg
    Babelfish-F6-Bal-5-windings.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Babelfish-F6-Bal-6-windings.jpg
    Babelfish-F6-Bal-6-windings.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 327
If they must be truely balanced, inductance, capacitance and DCR then they must be fillar wound. Difference between 5 or 6 in hand is incidental to cost or size. What might be good to think on is how much inductance is really needed and how do the inductance's per node sum to the core, in the circuit? In addition, how linear does the inductance need to be from 20 Hz to 3.5 kHz, where 48% nickle core gives up and quits work?

If they must be truely balanced, inductance, capacitance and DCR then they must be fillar wound. Difference between 5 or 6 in hand is incidental to cost or size. What might be good to think on is how much inductance is really needed and how do the inductance's per node sum to the core, in the circuit? In addition, how linear does the inductance need to be from 20 Hz to 3.5 kHz, where 48% nickle core gives up and quits work?

Bud,
Im too dumb to know what to tell ya. If ZM can provide info, ill be buying some. If you gotta use more expensive cores, so be it. This amp is worth it to me.

other than no complaints into the in box, I have no idea what buzz's experience has been, and do I not see 6 coil positions on the schematic? O are you referring to what I consider primary / secondary as the 5th repeater?

I just built more(possibly uneccesarily) complicated version, that sounds fantastic. It contains two of your transformers in a bridged setup. ZM has proposed two singl transformer versions. One is included in schema above. I would like to build it and prfer your work.