F6 Amplifier

Attachments

• 3_clip_image004.gif
    3_clip_image004.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 418
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi folks,

I did some hearing with the negative phase for k2......like flocchini, whose hearing encouraged me to try it..:)....most other comments on negative phase were more negative ...done mostly in the F5 and BBA-3 thread, when Nelson showed the pot over the source resistors first time.

I like it..... it adds more space to my (small) room and there is a kind of swirl when instruments color or tone changes around the instruments place. Ears have more to do and get more surprises.
The effect may be artificial, but worth a try!

And for all that yearned for a J2, never the similarity was closer!

It is not the same distinctness of higher tones, but the same sweetness and painting a huge stage.

I do not why, but now the similarity to my F3 clone is also much more higher.

I will still try to see the phase changes with the Visual Analyzer program directly. :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
It is not the same distinctness of higher tones, but the same sweetness and painting a huge stage.

It seems mine got a little darker. If that is what your saying. A little more fleshy. The soundstage of F6 is very good no matter what you do.....

I believe my setup the Q2 is close to 0R, and that Q1 is in the opposite direction. My tools for measuring are inadequate to make further recommendations.

yes I think so! :)

But it seems a matter of taste, for some people prefer positive phase.....

like botte, look here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/195303-burning-amp-ba-3-a-55.html

so it may be dependent on amp and speakers and room or taste.....

With my degeneration version, I ended up with top Rs bypassed with cap and lower fet with .15R of degeneration. Didnt go lower due to lack of resistors, but lower on the Rs always semmed to make me like it more. Matching fets and using lower yfs on top, may give best of both worlds. If this all related to absolute phase, I would think that the stronger fet would need to be on top in the J2 or have more degeneration on the lower fet. With it, though, there are other ways to set gain of cs.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi folks,

I did some hearing with the negative phase for k2......like flocchini, whose hearing encouraged me to try it..:)....most other comments on negative phase were more negative ...done mostly in the F5 and BBA-3 thread, when Nelson showed the pot over the source resistors first time.

I like it..... it adds more space to my (small) room and there is a kind of swirl when instruments color or tone changes around the instruments place. Ears have more to do and get more surprises.
The effect may be artificial, but worth a try!

And for all that yearned for a J2, never the similarity was closer!

I do not why, but now the similarity to my F3 clone is also much more higher.

I will still try to see the phase changes with the Visual Analyzer program directly. :)

I agree, negative phase second harmonic is a nice effect, and after a few days I missed the weight of the sound you do get from positive phase k2. I would say negative is more "hifi" and positive is more musical and has more long term enjoyment potential. Best of all it's easy to change, so try it both ways and report back. As always, just my opinion. :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Good idea buzz!

I think the "effect" comes from the inverse between the dominant distortion k2 and the main signal.
So I would say the "effect" should stay, besides the effect happening playing with inverse main phase....

Did you know the I can hear the inverse of the inverse of the 5th dimension......:D