F6 Amplifier

Spent an entire week trying to get the DSP Patchmix program sorted. Now sorting the intput to output gain and trying to calibrate internal scope in Visual. Had it setup and used it successfully on F5T to test distortion, but didnt save settings and have been doing battle ever since. Arta is easier, but has its own issues.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I heard the F6 up to now in two constellations, first one, k2 about 15db higher than k3. I do not know at the moment if it was with pos or neg phase or even unequal phase between the channels. Second one, k2 and k3 at the same level.

Differences are soooooo big! First one lush, dark and heavy, second one crisp, present and quick.

So when you here your build first time and you are not happy with the sound trim it! Shape the sound man! (R* buzzforb) All is possible!
F6 is in this respect a wonderful lesson!

@botte: how much db did you choose k2 over k3, please?

@ flocchini: when you changed the value of source resistoNrs and looked for the sound difference....keep in mind that offset and bias must be regulated new, otherwise distortion values can change too, because of 200mV more offset and so on...The same is true when change the pairs sometimes...

Choosing the pot solution this is no more a problem, as Zen Mod confirms :) , a very pleasant situation!

I tried just matching transconductance but some other parameter(s) that was not being measured was also important. I suspect that it is the internal source resistance of the SS-R100.

O.K......

it took me some hours to find out of my 8 R125 the two pairs that gave me around 0,012% THD and a distortion spectra where k2 and k3 are at the same level.
I wanted this position to go later more easily for negative and positive phase.

If it is possible to find the pairs only by measuring the transconductance of the parts outside of the circuit then I am an idiot.....not to build the circuit Nelson suggested 1993...!

So buzzforb and tea-bag can measure the transconductance, so it would be very interesting to see, if they get a predictable distortion picture.

Tea-bag please insert in your F6 two pairs of SS with same transconductance and let us see the distortion picture. k2 should be reduced, shouldn't it?

Buzzforb can you see distortion?

and of course Ihquam did you see a correspondence between equal transconduction and a reduced k2 compared to k3?

when my 10 Ohm pots are coming I will continue....

because changing the source resistors changes as well the bias, as the offset values...... ! Too much work! Am I correct to suppose that using the pots the bias and the offset is not changed?

Gute Nacht!

Here is a paper I haev had for a while. It may be of interest to some.

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~phylabs/bsc/PDFFiles/bsc4.pdf

If I get a chance, i am going to measure each of my 8 SS using both the curve tracer and the meothod above to see what we get. According to the paper above, both simple test should yield similar results.

The theory put forward so far is, that a jfet with lower yfs(transconductance) up top compared to bottom fet, should yield higher k2 to k3. With the same yfs for both top and bottom, cancellation of 2k is ecpected, as well as lower overall distortion. If this proves true, then it should be easy enough to work things out for higher K2 to K3, even using no degeneration(which I like best), if we put lower yfs fet up top. To get higher K2 up top should be easy if we add source degeneration, as we can alter the yfs of the top fet, yielding higher K2 even with perfectly matched pairs. There is some question as to whether the aforementioned threory is actually proving valid or if there is something else at work. We shall see.

Oh yeah.
This may take a while.