F6 Amplifier

Antoinel,

I think you are on to something with the Bipolar / Darlington.

Doug
I have been a diyAudio member for about 1 year; mostly interested in Pass Labs threads. I find it amusing that the words bjt and Class AB appear rarely in them; as if they are forbidden. DIYers are exclusively interested in using and speaking of "FET" devices in strictly Class A designs. The selection of acceptable FETs is nowhere as extensive as for bjts. Unfortunately this limits the DIYer's "degrees of freedom" to experiment and diy. Maybe in your design, a Darlington is truly a better cascoder than a MOSFET. I find it interesting that F6 is based on a Classic design which used bjts and operated Class AB.

The concept drawing was a cut / paste job with the Zen 9 Cascode added to the F6 replacing the JFET outputs. And I learned something from it. If I build it, I will try it both ways.

If you want to play with BJT and Class AB, the larger Solid State Forum is ideal.
Nelson's interests are in class A and FET, so that is where this board is focused.
The more focused scope makes for a more collaborative experience.

Doug

The concept drawing was a cut / paste job with the Zen 9 Cascode added to the F6 replacing the JFET outputs. And I learned something from it. If I build it, I will try it both ways.

If you want to play with BJT and Class AB, the larger Solid State Forum is ideal.
Nelson's interests are in class A and FET, so that is where this board is focused.
The more focused scope makes for a more collaborative experience.

Doug
Thank you for your well put insights and direction. Other DIYers [I hope] and I look forward to your concept amp.

Best regards.

visiting the grandkids in Seattle :D:D:D

When Tea Bags boards arrive I will compare Jensen's and Oneticcs. Maybe this year somebody will release some SITs - think that will be the next step !!!

Also on the bench top is a AlephJ Jango. Boards are stuffed - waiting for PSU parts

Happy holidays to all you great guys here on the DIY forums

Best

Bob

Last edited:
visiting the grandkids in Seattle :D:D:D

When Tea Bags boards arrive I will compare Jensen's and Oneticcs. Maybe this year somebody will release some SITs - think that will be the next step !!!

Also on the bench top is a AlephJ Jango. Boards are stuffed - waiting for PSU parts

Happy holidays to all you great guys here on the DIY forums

Best

Bob
Started mine today. Also got some Sit parts for complimentary F6, kudos to Rush

Must be.... I received some SJEP120R125's and ran one thru my home made curve tracer. I think the curves are very close and gives me an op point very close to what Pass talks about. Max Vgs swing is around .6v to .7v to remain in class A. It is quite cold in Los Angeles today and I was not able to get the transistor to go above 35 degrees Celsius. Tried heating it further with a small shrink wrap gun but it did not make a difference on the Id. I have the transistor on a large heatsink.

I did not capture the effect on the below curves, but going above 2 on the Vgs make the upper curves look bad as my tracer can't provide the required incrementing Ig.

Attachments

• SJEP120R125 F6 Load Line.jpg
    SJEP120R125 F6 Load Line.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 479