F6 Amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
To do this, I would guess that the LED's would need to be a string of 5 or so, to allow for its 20V+ gate charge. We are assuming it also has less distortion than IRF240 and similiar sound to R100. Won't know until you try. :D:sax:

should only need 10-14V. Input C is a little higher, but Mr miller doesn't look as bad. Wonder how many you got to buy to get a match. Bigger part has much nicer Yfs, but also has all that comes with it.

boyz

are we looking at same datasheet ?

boyz

are we looking at same datasheet ?

Yup, I just didnt have my glasses on. Using those big number threw me. Looks like 4-5V range. I am ordering some to compare. Hopefully they will perform similarly and open up another option for others interested in the project. Certainly very nice looking curves. May not be as good as SS, but could be.

CMF10120D Cree, Inc. | Mouser

Joined 2009
Paid Member
some more news...

the Edcor and the Jensen were working at very different distortion levels from the starting point..compared in the same channel.

Edcor with a k2 distortion lying 12db higher than the k3 and THD 0,046%

Jensen with a k2 distortion at the same level than the k3 and THD 0,0158%

so the Jensen was a bit too bright and the Edcor better but a bit too faaaaat.

And thanks Mr. Pass! Never it was more easy to tune the k2 corresponding to k3 than by putting in a 1k pot parallel to the upper secondary winding!

Now I set (only the Jensens at the moment, Edcors will follow..):)

Jensens k2 about 8db higher than k3, THD at 0,045% and that is a very nice sound now, no comparison to the first try!

All data are from the left channel, the more worse channel, the right channel has lower THD values with these mix, about 0,035%.

So I will look for the SemiS pairing if I can get lower values on the right channel too...

I am still irritated, this circuit should be k2 dominant, because of SE character or k3 dominant, because of canceling of lower and upper half....?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yup, I just didnt have my glasses on. Using those big number threw me. Looks like 4-5V range. I am ordering some to compare. Hopefully they will perform similarly and open up another option for others interested in the project. Certainly very nice looking curves. May not be as good as SS, but could be.

what's the price ?

edit:

dumb zm

didn't clicked on link , thought it was for datasheet , not to Moussss

Joined 2006
Paid Member

I was looking at the test VGS....oops.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
from previous datasheet
somewhat easier to see

Attachments

• Cree CMF10120D Rev A datasheet.jpg
    Cree CMF10120D Rev A datasheet.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 424
The transconductance appears to be very low at about 3.5S at Id=10A. I haven't estimated the input capacitance.

The transconductance appears to be very low at about 3.5S at Id=10A. I haven't estimated the input capacitance.
The curve is not linear at ~1.5 A. How does it compare side by side with that of R100 or other MOSFETs made popular by Mr. Pass?

N.B.
  • The curve of Idss v.s. Vgs for R100 appears relatively more linear [eyeballing] than for Cree semi.
  • The curve of Idss v.s. Vgs for IRFP240 is different from both of the above. Nonetheless quite linear in the idle bias region 0f 1-2 A.

Last edited:
Plot it at different Vds and datasheet posted by ZM looks good to me. Could be viewing it with same glasses as before.
If not xformer, slap a diff pair in front for more gain and you might have soemthing nice. As a matter of fact, may be worth trying in the AJ. ACA is also an option.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
surprise....:confused:

i tried to get down k2 with the Edcor with the trim pots and it did not work. The smallest distance I could manage was 10db. I tried both secondaries lower and upper.

So the Edcor seems to have a k2 dominance build in and you can not really shape your sound man....:D