F6 Amplifier

Coming soon to a couch near ...me!

actually,i may go for slot loaded MLTL instead. Its more pretty:blush:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 332
:gnasher:If I tried to follow your advice my wife would I have me moving everything out to the barn. With the hay bales, I could get some good sound damping but the raccoons and skunks might be a problem for the open baffle speakers.

Throw out two couches, hang giant tapestry in hole containing speaks, add speaks of choice. :clown: Got window isdues to deal with. Gonna load right side more than left due to wall proximity. Like the layout, ceiling is good, but rest it is murder for setup. I would venture that nearfield lsitening is best bet to reduceroom inferaction. Good news is, you haven theard amps or speaks yet:up:I have nice FR moniters and will be building OB and horyns shortly. Now convincing wife to rearrange entire liyving room to accomomadate system. Thats why i stopped with amp expkoartion. Gotta start makin gthings pretty. You have a lovelt home, BTW. Other swill have better advice, i am sure

In the photo you might note that the wall behind the speakers is 2 inch thick acoustical cotton, which solved an extreme flutter echo problem due all of the windows and ceramic tile on the floor. Acoustic treatment of the wall behind the speakers rather than the opposite wall is the reverse of what some experts recommend, but it seems to work well.
This wall maybe beneficial for in-wall drivers; possibly operating in infinite baffle depending on what is behind it be it the outdoors or another room; preferably the laundry room.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Old
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vintage_altec/416A_LF_Speakers.pdf
New from GPA
Thiele/Small Parameters for Altec LF Loudspeakers

Oh yeah, Is alnico worth $100/speak? Some say yes. Some say no. I tend toward yes, but you have probably heard both.

AlNiCo yes , if wallet permit

difference between 414 and 416 - I would go with bigger one , if you have place for cabs

considering that my listening experience with both types is distant past , maybe you can ask Big Cal and/or boyz at Who Cares for Ariels thread

whatever - from my experience with all things Altec , you can't err choosing them .

did you found any graphs for 414 and 416 ?

edit: whatever you do , stay at VoT principle - xover acoustically in 800-1K3 range ; that's already critical enough , no need for going up more

Last edited:
I guess your right. It was Ilquams fought. He asked about speakers. Never one to miss an opportunity, I......

Then again, we are talking speaks that would suit this amp very well, I think.

At least we are not talking about bicycles with the chief moderator chiming in with his spoke count. LOL

Are you guys forgetting this amp will probably be part of a bi-amp or tri-amp system? This amp could be on the top and a F5T could be on the bottom. Doesn't that open the possibilities for other compatible speakers? After all what are we going to do with all the other amps on the work bench?

Rush