F6 Amplifier

To make it easy to change FETs in Teaser-6 I added 3-pin Molex sockets to the PCB and a 0.25" aluminum plate to the heatsink. Works great.:D

Attachments

• DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC_0392.jpg
    DSC_0392.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 376
What happened to that neat PCB you had made. :D
Seriously, I have sat down quite a few times to design a board that would allow for mulitple tweaks and testing, but i never follow through. I have M2 clone 90% finished before I got stupid cold. What about listening impressions. I am a sucker for a good opinion.

The back side of the board looks even worse. Actually I am very happy with the ease with which I have been able to tweak the first version of the PCB.

I have Teaser-6 V2.1 PCB ready to go as soon as I am done with tweaks to V1.1.

Seriously, I have sat down quite a few times to design a board that would allow for mulitple tweaks and testing, but i never follow through. I have M2 clone 90% finished before I got stupid cold. What about listening impressions. I am a sucker for a good opinion.

Attachments

• F6V2.2-1-rev-8-pcb.jpg
    F6V2.2-1-rev-8-pcb.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 363
I restarted listening tests today after the modifications I reported earlier.

My first tests are with both channels having a measured THD of about 0.05% nearly flat from 40Hz to 20kHz at 1 watt into 8 ohms. The sound is much improved from before the mods. It will require more listening and tweaking of the Zen pots before I can have a definitive opinion.

I am not sure whether the F6 can reach its full listening potential with the B&W CDM1 speakers I have.

I am not sure what kind of speakers to consider. I chose the CDM1s because of room constraints. The room is very asymmetric wrt. the stereo centerline and placement 3 or more feet from the walls would be quite difficult. When I build this house, I didn't spend enough time to consider room acoustics.

In the photo you might note that the wall behind the speakers is 2 inch thick acoustical cotton, which solved an extreme flutter echo problem due all of the windows and ceramic tile on the floor. Acoustic treatment of the wall behind the speakers rather than the opposite wall is the reverse of what some experts recommend, but it seems to work well.

Time for speaks:D

Attachments

• DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 334
Throw out two couches, hang giant tapestry in hole containing speaks, add speaks of choice. :clown: Got window isdues to deal with. Gonna load right side more than left due to wall proximity. Like the layout, ceiling is good, but rest it is murder for setup. I would venture that nearfield lsitening is best bet to reduceroom inferaction. Good news is, you haven theard amps or speaks yet:up:I have nice FR moniters and will be building OB and horyns shortly. Now convincing wife to rearrange entire liyving room to accomomadate system. Thats why i stopped with amp expkoartion. Gotta start makin gthings pretty. You have a lovelt home, BTW. Other swill have better advice, i am sure

In my previous audio life, i heard the lijes of linn, totem, magnepan, and so on. When i got started in this diy thing, i built an AJ and some Alpair 10.2 floorstanders. They both rocked my world. I just achieved 85-90% of the quality of previous systemds for a meager fee. I then launched into amps, as they had lower initial investment. I now know that my speaks are my weak point. Not that they are bad. They are wonderful, but i want to go the route of high efficiency systems to better utililze the FW series amps. I will be building a OB using AN 15 and also a horn/woofer combo. This will be added to my FR/ woofer system and then i have good rep of all types. I am really exvited about both horn and OB. Both will be new. Both will be in the sweet spot of FW amps having efficiency of 95+dB. Look up SEOS 12 horn with b&c250 and beyma 12br100. This could be a potentially sick sounding pro style monitor that would probably suit your listening space well. You can get plastic vetsion of the horn for $25. Diysoundgroup has a denovo 360 that is suppoosedly similar, if not better than, the bc250, and is only $75 per driver. Add thr 12" beyma for $150 each, and you have only dropped $500-600 for a really nice setup. ZM will have better ideas for big circle style speaks. You want Sd and efficiency.