F6 Amplifier

I would really like to hear the Lowthers, but i can put together a realy nice horn for same money. I am sure I will have one before too long, but will have o audition them first. Its a big purchasse for me. I am picking horns because they make me feel like a real audio big shot:D:rofl:
I know I am wierd on the "tone" thing, especially in HifI. Oh well. I guess I like a little color in my music. Nobody wants to hear what it really sounds like:down:

Buzz, you need to look into the recent Lynn Olson "Beyond the Karna" thread. His choices will work just as you want them to, whereas the Lowther's take some heavy lifting to get the best from them. Mine are up and running with Gen 2 EnABL and they are exquisite, but just the Lowther's isn't enough.

Of course, just the horns aren't either. But at least there you can make paper mache' prototypes first., unless you follow someone's advice who actually knows what he wants, it is what you want, he knows how to get it and you can afford it. You might PM Pano too, he is in your part of the country and is also quite experienced with horns.

Bud

RCA Olson coax drivers

Hi there Zen: Thanks for posting the information on these drivers. I knew an RCA service man who had aquired a pair and drove them with a pair of Berkshire (PP 6L6) amps. The shop had one of the amps laying around, canabilized, and in need of repair. So $50 and I had an interesting project: Since the motors for tuning and function change were missing, I replaced them with manual drives. Replaced the selenium low voltage full wave rectifiers (filiment DC supplies) with 1960's diodes/home made heat sinks, and replaced some tubes. Used it to power a diy A-7 VOC.....some fun in those days....regards, Michael

Is this thread in a coma or something? Where are the regulars? I lost the drive [or pleasure] to stir up Zen Mod!:D

Waiting for the time to build the F6 and join the fun.
This doesn't happen over night. Last pre amp crossover took over a year to complete.
Buzz and Ihquam are building rock stars, most people will take much longer to build. Some never will, just collect parts and lose interest.
I've done that before.

Rush

Waiting for the time to build the F6 and join the fun.
This doesn't happen over night. Last pre amp crossover took over a year to complete.
Buzz and Ihquam are building rock stars, most people will take much longer to build. Some never will, just collect parts and lose interest.
I've done that before.

Rush
I agree that good things take time. I already received BA-3 amp PCBs from the diyAudio store. Top quality. Tea-Bag will supply me with a quad of matched SemiSouth R100A; worth the expense and a great X-Mas present to move forward my F6 project.

:scratch: I am still trying to figure out why one channel is acting strangely. I see two problems: 1) the noise floor and distortion spectrum moves up and down with a period of 1-2 seconds; 2) the distortion spectrum is not nearly as good as the other channel.

Problem 1 is almost certainly related to the bias circuit. A SPICE Bode plot of the circuit shows a hump in the response at 1/3 Hz and a phase margin of only 42 degrees at 1/8 Hz. My experiments today will be with different values for the large electrolytic caps in the bias circuits with the intent to improve the phase margin.

Stay tuned to this channel. :clock:

:D
Problem 1) I reduced the bias circuit caps from 470uf to 100uf and the oscillatory behaviour of noise floor and harmonic spectrum went away.

Problem 2) I swapped the R100s between rails and did not get a significant improvement. I then replaced the R100 on the top rail with spare R100. The harmonic spectrum can now be adjusted to be much closer that of the other Teaser-6 channel. :happy2:

Listening tests are next.