F6 Amplifier

More Teaser-6 adjustments. I received two more SemiSouth R100s and measures their transconductance along with the two R100s from the channel that wasn't performing as well.

New R100 JFETS
Gm = 9.335S, 8.046S

R100 JFETS from suspect channel
Gm = 7.203S, 8.282S

I paired the 8.046S and 8.282S JFETs and reassembled the PC board.

I finally found the "sweet spot" for lowering 2nd harmonic in this channel. It appears to be somewhere near Rs = R05.

I am listening to it now and the sound is better than ever. With pots in parallel to the source resistors, it is easy to adjust for your preference of harmonic content and level of global feedback.

Here are the Harmonics vs Frequency sweeps for the two channels now.
As you can see, the 2nd harmonic is very low. The first plot is left channel that was previously the better one. The second plot is the newly configured and adjusted channel.

I still have no idea what harmonic balance and global feedback level Nelson is looking for.
lhquam has already matched the output JFETs to within 2.89% versus its original 13.9% which he called a poor performing channel. He clearly concludes to have converged on the sweet spot for Teaser-6. The new mismatch in transconductance [2.89%] still caused a DC offset at the output. This offset is a valuable number. It mirrors the intrinsic mismatch in the Gms of the JFETs. Its value is an objective guide to the extent of mismatch. Measure this DC output offset as a functon of Idss at a fixed frequency. Tweaking the bias pots to zero the output offset does not induce a new magical match between the JFETs. Au contraire, it creates a new mismatch by forcing the Idss of one JFET to track the other where it shouldn't. IMHO, one needs to adjust the bias pots of both JFETs to get one identical value of bias voltage. Allow the DC output offset to settle where it naturally has to due to the intrinsic mismatch of the JFETs. Use an output capacitor to block DC , and carry on.

With the transformer coupling, I cannot see any reason that the absolute level of the FET bias voltage Vgs matters at all. The transconductance is important in determining the relative modulation levels of the two output FETs, and thus H2.

... IMHO, one needs to adjust the bias pots of both JFETs to get one identical value of bias voltage. Allow the DC output offset to settle where it naturally has to due to the intrinsic mismatch of the JFETs. Use an output capacitor to block DC , and carry on.

lhquam has already matched the output JFETs to within 2.89% versus its original 13.9% which he called a poor performing channel. He clearly concludes to have converged on the sweet spot for Teaser-6. The new mismatch in transconductance [2.89%] still caused a DC offset at the output....
The G-S Threshold voltage of each device also plays a role in the "intrinsic mismatch" of the circuit (offset).
...Measure this DC output offset as a functon of Idss at a fixed frequency. Tweaking the bias pots to zero the output offset does not induce a new magical match between the JFETs....
Au contraire:D I can undestand your use of "Idss" but, to assciate it with frequency? It more than likely adjusts the output offset and matches Id, causing a very slight mismatch in the Bias Voltage of the 2 deivecs. The Vgsth voltage will likely not be equal and this will be necessary for 0 output offset. These are DC conditions.
AC wise the Vgsth and Id mismatch, even after offset adjustment, will likely have much less effect on distortion than the gain variations due to tranconductance mismatch IMHO :)

Last edited:
lhquam, I was slower at the keyboard but, I beleive I agree :D
lhquam and flg. Clearly you know your stuff; but unfortunately the 'sweet spot' continues to be elusive; although within the near grasp of lhquam per his matching JFET study. ZM showed a picture of the SIT-1 amp with a meter [for Idss?] on the front panel. Is the sweet spot related to a certain idle Idss of the output stage? My thinking in my previous post was as follows by this example: If the upper JFET has a Gm = 8.0 S, then a Vgs = 1.0 Volt enables an idle Idss = 8.0 A to flow through it. By comparison, the lower JFET has a Gm = 7.0 S. So the same matching Vgs = 1.0 V as for the upper JFET, generates an idle Idss = 7.0 A to flow through it. The two JFETs are connected in series, and thus must pass either 7 or 8 A; otherwise create a voltage divider [DC offset]. So, the DIYer tweaks the bias pot of the upper JFET down and/or the bias pot up of the lower JFET to get either 7 or 8 A and zero output DC offset. Except, the range of Idss [of 7-8 A] is where the sweet spot resides; but at which tweakable steady state of idle Idss. Will it be at 7.1 A which is closer to the Gm of bottom JFET or by contrast at 7.9 A. Thus, one has 10 incremental steps = 0.1A Idss [or more or less] to tweak [with the same bias pots] so as to nail this sweet spot down. Except; an attendant output DC offset must develop with each tweak. Can't have your B-day cake and eat it too [your guests took care of it]. Flow with [aka tolerate] this offset to find the sweet spot.

DC offset must remain in safe boundaries , while varying THD content

already shown how to in this very thread

anyway - different constructions , different ways for varying Amount of Zen .... :rofl: , but none of them is allowed to alter DC offset

lhquam's search for an answer in the Zen Pot of the SIT amp is an interesting development. Clearly, the issue of device matching is irrlevant vis a vis SIT; a solo performer. Is the Zen Pot tweaking Idss and Vds of the SIT? If the answer is yes, then this tweak is moving or shifting or off-setting Vds [new status] from its parent value before the tweak as one hunted for the sweet Idss point. Uh Oh.. I am saying exactly what you said all along. SIT has a DC output blocking cap, and thus one will easily ignore a +/- 1 Volt shift in its Vds. It is irrelevant to its DC offset; it has none. But a similar DC output shift in offset for F6 clone is not tolerated, and is clearly managed with a blocking cap once its sweet Idss is found.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
speaking strictly about F6 and MR's amp - with pot you're varying degree of either direct AC modulation , or AC degeneration (indirectly influencing AC modulation)

in both cases it's strictly area of AC , while biasing/DC offset is strictly related to static, DC area

so , how's that suddenly connected with DC offset ?

speaking strictly about F6 and MR's amp - with pot you're varying degree of either direct AC modulation , or AC degeneration (indirectly influencing AC modulation)

in both cases it's strictly area of AC , while biasing/DC offset is strictly related to static, DC area

so , how's that suddenly connected with DC offset ?
Please ignore my earlier post because it is not relevant.

obviously neither you nor I , have enough mileage or knowledge to understand how young or less young Pass was/is thinking ......

sometimes I see something twisty/funny in his schematics , but that's only making me happier , not really smarter ....... but that's not his fault , but mine

:D
Poetic and wise words. Are the potentiometers in the schematic [L'Amp; A simple SIT Amp] independent or ganged/track?