F6 Amplifier

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello Mr. Pass, :cool:

After horrible experience hearing your J2 against my clone.....
It would be very nice and I hope not too immodest if you could treat in your article how to get nearer to the sweet point with the F6......!

Could mean how to influence the balance between second and third harmonics....

Thank You! :)

I love it. You know that. Already wiring up bastard M2 as comparison. If vacation wasnt coming, it would be trafo shootout. TRied to talk wife into letting me take electronics on vacation, but she threatened me with personal injury:D Been comparing it to F5T extensively, and they both do some things really well. I know the F5 is everybody's bag, and it is very nice, especially considering multiple outputs. The F6 on the other hand makes me want to grab a cup of coffee(not black mamba style of ZM) and dissapear for a while into the music. F5 is better on complex with F6 kickiing !$@ on simpler stuff like Jazz and Dire Straits type rock. F5 makes me analyze while F6 is just for listening,. Not syaing the F6 cant do it all, but got more fiddling to do. I full yunderstand why Nelson has big spans of time in between releases( other than other minor audio gig), it takes time to tweak these amps. Oh but isnt it fun:D

Edit:
Now in process of planning uber efficient speaker system for FW only amps. Really considering buying M2 based on reviews of pros as well as non pros. Also thinking about Generg's comment on difference between real J2 and clone. Wish there was local guy. Oh well THen again, it would be giving up on audio tweaking fun.

Last edited:
THis guy says it much better.

"takes a backward step from ultimate resolution to go mellower, softer and just slightly voluptuous."

"It all makes perfect sense however once you compare the ... to tube amps of equivalent power which operate in a faster, more open-bandwidth EL84 milieu. To get so close to their sound without glowing bits is remarkable. What the ... throws into the mix as a bonus is a bit of extra overall grip, probably less operational noise and most likely a few degrees more illumination."

THis is how i would characterize the F6 I am listening to.

Word Samurai!

Buzz: Sounds like you are getting better sound than from my amp. What bias current are you using? What are your source resistances? What feedback resistances?

THis guy says it much better.

"takes a backward step from ultimate resolution to go mellower, softer and just slightly voluptuous."

"It all makes perfect sense however once you compare the ... to tube amps of equivalent power which operate in a faster, more open-bandwidth EL84 milieu. To get so close to their sound without glowing bits is remarkable. What the ... throws into the mix as a bonus is a bit of extra overall grip, probably less operational noise and most likely a few degrees more illumination."

THis is how i would characterize the F6 I am listening to.

Word Samurai!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
.....the problem could be that two perfect matched halves produce mostly k3 and no k2 and a slight mismatch will care for the k2 part. Of course absolute distortion is growing in this way, but the SemiSouth have so much less distortion compared to the IRF that you can risk some more k2 distortion to tailor the sound!:D

you must only find a way to get the offset of about 200mV back to zero but keep the distortion spectra....:) or take a cap!:cop:

My long lost brothers of audio. I really need to go to europe and stalk ZM and Generg. THey are having all the fun.

@Ilquam
I have my bias at about 1.5A. I am playing with Rs values of .1,.15, and .25. You know the whole cap connection deal. I also have my caps bypassed with film types. I really have to get a look at the measurements of the two output fets. Their matching does play a significant role in all that we say and I am in the dark as far as those parameters go. I seem to like less Rs the most, with the cap positioning being a major component of tweaking sound(your pot idea). You haev to be careful, because the second harmonic can be too great and everything gets kinda scrwey sounding in terms of vertical postitioning. I will try my best to do a full writeup with measurements and all in next month or so. Not promising anything though.

Oh yeah. My wife, who is completely irritated with my audio addiction, likes it better than F5T. I gotta stop talking you to guys and go listent to some music:D