F6 Amplifier

.:D

Attachments

• DSC_0110.JPG
    DSC_0110.JPG
    713 KB · Views: 360
Hey watch it. These cost me a fortune and that makes them better. Cant you tell by veneer. For real Do. Patricia Barber, "Billy Joe", SPOOKY. You can hear the room as they snap.

Edit:ZM, I cannot imagine what your SiT version will sound like. I will not tell if you want to send tubes to my place for proper disposal.

Last edited:
Which THD vs Frequency sweep do you prefer? All of these sweeps were done with a closed-loop gain of about 5 and Rload = 8R. The choice of Rs affects the balance of local feedback (source degenration) vs. global feedback. With the inherent time delay through the transformer, the 2 types of feedback affect the sonic signature differently.

Output impedance and damping factor are other implications of the choice of Rs. Here are estimates:

Rs = 0R47 => Zo = 1.70 DF = 4.7
Rs = 0R22 => Zo = 0.94 DF = 8.5
Rs = 0R12 => Zo = 0.66 DF = 12.1
Rs = 0R01 => Zo = 0.37 DF = 21.8

Attachments

• F6-acs5-fsweep-vs-Rs.jpg
    F6-acs5-fsweep-vs-Rs.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 468
  • F6-acs5-hfsweep-vs-Rs.jpg
    F6-acs5-hfsweep-vs-Rs.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
I listened to the F6 against the F5T extensively tonight. My setup is .15Rs with top cap connected bellow Rs and the bottom cap connected above Rs. My gain is 8 or 18dB. I will continue to play around with numbers and hope to post measurements, but the sound is enjoyable enough to me, where I will not be building any more amps for while. I have built 6 in the past year and while I have enjoyed them all, nothing has seized my attention like this one. Perhaps I like the romantic side of sound, dunno. I will build a J2, some variation of SUSY, and hope for the Sit's to be released. Only reason am doing that is to see if J2 is similar as well as how outstanding SUSY is. As for SiT, I remember Pass saying in SiT Nemesis article that the SS parts sounded flat compared to the SiT, with Sit having better separation and space.. I can't stinkin imagine how good they sound if these sound sorta flat. I am going to concentrate on other projects like my unfinished DACs, MY B5/B4 clone, my shiglaclone transport, and my speaks. If you don't try this amp, sorry! I gotta go bug ZM about proper speaks, preferably really expensive ones. :devilr: Oh forgot, I started drooling when I thought about getting my 6V6 finished and in front of this amp.

Last edited:
for those who like to mess with different source degeneration and loop feedback combinations, it may be worthwhile revisiting the classic Audio Distortion & Feedback article. Its interesting to compare the effects of fb from source degeneration (this graph is from the thread on the same topic - it does not appear in original article) vs loop feedback....i for one, had always thought that the effects on distortion spectra was the same, but the truth is far from it....

[edit] thread link here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/132491-distortion-negative-feedback.html

Attachments

• degeneration-spectrum.jpg
    degeneration-spectrum.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 436
  • loop_feedback.png
    loop_feedback.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Which THD vs Frequency sweep do you prefer? All of these sweeps were done with a closed-loop gain of about 5 and Rload = 8R. The choice of Rs affects the balance of local feedback (source degenration) vs. global feedback. With the inherent time delay through the transformer, the 2 types of feedback affect the sonic signature differently.

Output impedance and damping factor are other implications of the choice of Rs. Here are estimates:

Rs = 0R47 => Zo = 1.70 DF = 4.7
Rs = 0R22 => Zo = 0.94 DF = 8.5
Rs = 0R12 => Zo = 0.66 DF = 12.1
Rs = 0R01 => Zo = 0.37 DF = 21.8
lhquam: You have all of the elements to write a great article on Teaser-6. May even co-author it with Zen Mod and buzzforb. Submit it to diyAudio to the attention of Mr. Pass and Variac for review, and possible publication.

Last edited: