F6 Amplifier

Since my amplifier power needs are happily satisfied with less than 25W, I have no real interest in spending (wasting) time of Class-AB circuits. :down:
IMHO, the challenge will be to operate Conceptual F6 and its variants in Class A/B or even Class B modes and still make great sounding amps. I'll do it when the diy PCB by Mr. Pass becomes available for sale.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Why dual TL over single(like f4/ba2 output). Better control. Perhaps stupid question. Why would TL outperform ccs loaded LED?

dual vs. single because you need two bias nets :clown:

TL will not outperform LED,diode or zenner based bias net

in fact , appropriate tempco will win stability wise but soundwise there will not be difference

ZM has been nagging me for information on the F6. I have a very nice
sounding prototype, but the design and the article that accompanies it
have some details remaining.

However, I can afford to put out this teaser:

:cool:

Buzzforb Mentioned something..

Sorry for taken the first post and quote on, but.....

looks like it can use a pulse transformer buti would suspect a ratio 1:10:10 -> 1:100:100???

Am i right???

Why is it to much gain???

Perhaps different design goals, but Nelson seems to try to get away with as little gain and feedback as possible. I believe using the semi south in one amp, he stated that with the added linearity achieved from the part, he reduced gain and feedback giving back some of the performance gains as a result. He truly believes in as simple and minimalistic as possible, but no less.

pulse xformer is certainly not adequate
those are for switching duties
Why are SMPS transformer ferrite cores like that one about
ferrite core transformer - Detailed info for ferrite core transformer,ferrite core transformer,ferrite core transformer,EE/EI on Alibaba.com
are not suited for linear audio driver transformer?

Which special core requirements are necessary for best results in an application like the F6?

Concerning output transformers in tube amps there are several design rules like follow:
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/xformer_des/xformer.htm

But the idle current values so as peak current values in transformers for fit power output stages are much more lower.

Last edited:
You appear to be correct about that. Here is a Spice simulation of the two. The plot shows the ripple rejection of the two approaches. As you can see, the LED+CCS has a much lower corner frequency than the TL and is about 16dB better at frequencies about 100Hz.

dual vs. single because you need two bias nets :clown:

in fact , appropriate tempco will win stability wise but soundwise there will not be difference

Attachments

• F6-VR-vs-LEDCCS.jpg
    F6-VR-vs-LEDCCS.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 259