F6 Amplifier

Papa had indicated that some of these new SIT devices will start appearing for sale in the near future, either from commercial suppliers or from passdiy.com.
ra7: In the interim, one may wish to work with depletion-mode MOSFET and JFET devices [a learning curve similar to SIT] as they may be readily available. Conceptual F6 has a broad scope. A universal amp of many types.

Last edited:
lhquam: Is there a learning by operating Teaser-6 in the Class A/B mode, and then quantifying its subjective and objective performance? Its bias controls are at your finger tips. I am insure why you [and others] chose Class A to begin with. Their was no deliberate mention or suggestion in the early posts to operate Conceptual F6 in Class A or Class A/B. Maybe influenced by the statement of Mr. Pass that he no longer listens to Class A/B amps!

Last edited:
U spot the same concept, just like JBL "Energizer" with some Western Electric Germanium amps
just with cascoded output devices.
Zoran: Conceptual F6 is a wide open field of study. We know from the work and the builds of lhquam and buzzforb [and others] that it readily operates in Class A and sounds great too. But what about Class A/B operation [like you said above] used at large in the older generation Classics?

maybe it will be interested

Attachments

• 2sb407 PP amp.jpg
    2sb407 PP amp.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Gibson TR-1000RVT Starfire part output.jpg
    Gibson TR-1000RVT Starfire part output.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 264
  • Westrex 2404-C grmanium output stage.jpg
    Westrex 2404-C grmanium output stage.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 273
Antoinel - that's just matter of biasing

everything else as in any generic output stage .......

output transistor doesn't know what's nature of preceding stage , so - as I said - old story, generally speaking

Zen Mod. I fully agree with you that I am not suggesting new hair-brain ideas. All I am saying is for lhquam and others to expand the scope of understanding and characterize the full potential of their Conceptual F6. We are still talking about the identical build; but with different operating conditions. Knowledge can only be bliss. All bets are that Mr. Pass operates his F6 in Class A. But; we know very little or nuttin' [as you put it] about it.

The challenge that I am undertaking is to Guess where Nelson is taking us. That means KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and quality, which involves trade-offs. I suspect that Papa will show a circuit that is even simpler and better than mine shown in post #1647 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/216616-f6-amplifier-165.html#post3159810.

Zen Mod. I fully agree with you that I am not suggesting new hair-brain ideas. All I am saying is for lhquam and others to expand the scope of understanding and characterize the full potential of their Conceptual F6. We are still talking about the identical build; but with different operating conditions. Knowledge can only be bliss. All bets are that Mr. Pass operates his F6 in Class A. But; we know very little or nuttin' [as you put it] about it.