F6 Amplifier

lhquam, kasey197,triode_al, and others. Would you consider laying the foundation and/or simulating the output stage of Conceptual F6 by using SIT devices instead of JFETs? You'll get an amp with an established triode-like soundprint [according to Pass, Rothacher and others]; albeit with an output impedance of hopefully <1 Ohm after using loop feedback. This Zo is much lower that is currently achieved and available. This is a Burning Amp candidate for the upcoming Festival. A Futterman-style SIT amp which will stand out in the crowd!

lhquam: Will your PCB [arriving tomorrow] accept a SIT [KD82] modification? You asked in a past post whether Mr. Pass has achieved a vac-tube sound with his F6. This approach is potentially the best answer.

Antoinel, Would you consider laying the foundation and/or the SIT models for what your asking for? Albeit with all the other details of coause? I'm just sick of reading all these pie in sky posts includinjg "the underlined" pointing to other things and asking other people etc. etc... Sinse you appear to be new, and have nothing better to do, more reading of past forum procedures, ediqute and behaviour might inlighten you too! Sorry but, enough is enough and I'm not the only one with this issue, just the only one to tell you???
Maybe kevinkr will catch up to this and I'll be in trouble? But, your use of underline etc. etc. etc. is getting to me. Focus dude! you could start another thread and deal with your ideas much better there...

So, now that you and others hate me? Where in Penn. are ya? I'm goin to Numidia Sat and Sun for AHDRA Harley Drag racin! Nothin like a Harley on Nitro! What would you say to checkin that out? Bring your ear plugs! I'll buy you a few beers and we can shoot the sheeet? :cheers:

Antoinel, Would you consider laying the foundation and/or the SIT models for what your asking for? Albeit with all the other details of coause? I'm just sick of reading all these pie in sky posts includinjg "the underlined" pointing to other things and asking other people etc. etc... Sinse you appear to be new, and have nothing better to do, more reading of past forum procedures, ediqute and behaviour might inlighten you too! Sorry but, enough is enough and I'm not the only one with this issue, just the only one to tell you???
Maybe kevinkr will catch up to this and I'll be in trouble? But, your use of underline etc. etc. etc. is getting to me. Focus dude! you could start another thread and deal with your ideas much better there...

flg. My apology for irritating you. I had not and will never have this intention in my posts. kevinkr is welcome to re-align my approach like you prescribed. I doubt whether it will get you in trouble. Good coaching on your part and his [and Zen Mod too] are always welcome.

Last edited:
So, now that you and others hate me? Where in Penn. are ya? I'm goin to Numidia Sat and Sun for AHDRA Harley Drag racin! Nothin like a Harley on Nitro! What would you say to checkin that out? Bring your ear plugs! I'll buy you a few beers and we can shoot the sheeet? :cheers:
thanks for your invite. the thunder of nitro is best appreciated without earplugs. I hate to be a deaf audiophile.

thanks for your invite. the thunder of nitro is best appreciated without earplugs. I hate to be a deaf audiophile.
Well, I've enjoyed bikes(and racing mine), drag racing, rock concerts(and playing drums), guns, power tools, working in a semiconductor test area with 100+ fans going all the time, etc. etc. and sooner or later it gets you by suprise or not. I also have a history of this deafness and inner ear bone degenration, along with tenitus, in my family. I know, It is very supprising I can enjoy music or continue to enjoy building audio gear???

Nature has a way of making several other sensitivities more accute, along with brain "processing" to make up for it. Reading lips, analizing context, etc. etc. Sometimes I hear a strange noise and don't know what it was. Later I may realize I lost or dropped something and you instantly refrence that noise you didn't understand and make the connection? Even hours afterwords?
Dosen't really help sitting in front of the stereo though. I can still tell my stock car system is a piece of crap. Tuned for the window being open or not. And CDs sound fair but the FM broadcast prosessing sucks!
Back to the topic! :D

From post 1425

"The only unfinished part of this design is a way of deriving the V2+ and V2- voltages for the input JFETs from the floating V1+ and V1- supplies."

I remember some 15 years ago or so that a regulated supply was used for the front end of an amplifier and a unregulated supply possibly of a higher voltage was used for the power devices.

Is that possible here?

PC Boards arrived - first build

My PC boards arrived a day early! Great service from ExpressPCB.

Here are some images of the boards and a build which includes modifications for floating power supplies.

Also included is a THD vs Frequency sweep with 0R47 source resistors, 1 watt into 8 ohms, closed-loop gain 4.7. Amazing! Except for some issues below 80 Hz, which are to be investigated, the curve is perfectly flat. I do not know why I didn't see the same with my breadboard.

Attachments

• DSC_0373.jpg
    DSC_0373.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 530
  • DSC_0369.jpg
    DSC_0369.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 516
  • F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-fsweep.jpg
    F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-fsweep.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 480
The statement about deriving the V2 voltages was premature. The existing RC filters were adequate. The average of the V1 voltages were fine for supplying the RC filters.

From post 1425

"The only unfinished part of this design is a way of deriving the V2+ and V2- voltages for the input JFETs from the floating V1+ and V1- supplies."

I remember some 15 years ago or so that a regulated supply was used for the front end of an amplifier and a unregulated supply possibly of a higher voltage was used for the power devices.

Is that possible here?

Update: The bench supplies were current-limiting in the previous THS vs Freq plot. Try this.

I do not understand why this circuit works this well.

My PC boards arrived a day early! Great service from ExpressPCB.

Here are some images of the boards and a build which includes modifications for floating power supplies.

Also included is a THD vs Frequency sweep with 0R47 source resistors, 1 watt into 8 ohms, closed-loop gain 4.7. Amazing! Except for some issues below 80 Hz, which are to be investigated, the curve is perfectly flat. I do not know why I didn't see the same with my breadboard.

Attachments

• F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-fsweep-2.jpg
    F6-0R47-gain-4p7-1W-fsweep-2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 464
I might believe you now about Spice and the transformer models. The measurements with my PCB do not conform to what my Spice models predicted. I am not sure why my breadboard was so much worse than the PCB. Perhaps it was a non-obvious layout issue.

little patience can't harm

we'll be given with measured performance data , judging by previous experience

:clown:

btw. Spice is here pretty much useless , just because Spice doesn't know drek about exact xformer

Update: The bench supplies were current-limiting in the previous THS vs Freq plot. Try this.

I do not understand why this circuit works this well.

Considering there isn't an official schematic that performance is impressive. I am very curious to see if what you have built is dead on, close or it's own derivative. How does it sound so far? Any way you can compare it to an F5?