F6 Amplifier

you can always build Halcro

:devilr:
yes, or the topology from
http://home.tiscali.nl/audio/FrontEndSchPcb.html
About the paper
http://home.tiscali.nl/audio/index.html
there is described an amp with such an approach to get very excellent measuring THD results.

About the paper
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zenamp.pdf
I read:
There are two most essential principles to audio amplifier design. The
first is simplicity. The second is linearity.
Einstein said: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no
simpler." Simplicity is a common element of the best and most subtle
designs. It is preferred for purely aesthetic reasons, but also because
fewer elements color the sound less, and lose less information.

Actually the opposite approach, for me the only right way in order to get good sonic results by listening tests.

Attachments

• A. Einstein.png
    A. Einstein.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:
Could this be an implementation of US Pat. 4,107,619 (Fig.2)?
franzm: The attached is a simplified output stage of a Threshold S/----[STASIS {R}] power amp. The highly linear NPN transistor voltage source amplifier [Nvs] controls multiple PNP transconductance amplifiers [Ptcas]. Nvs and P tcas are connected in parallel. Ditto for the complementary portion using the highly linear PNP voltage source amp [Pvs] and its affiliated NPN transconductance amplifiers [Ntcas]. Maybe your question pertained to this particular combination in the attached schematic. {1}: [Nvs] and [Ntcas], and its complement {2}: [Pvs] and [Ptcas]. Clearly each of {1} and {2} are configured like the output stage of F6 [e.g Nvs common collector loaded with a common emitter Ntcas]. Will their operation be like F6?

Attachments

• STASIF6.pdf
    27.9 KB · Views: 160
DIYers visiting Jensen and Lundahl websites will find schematics of their transformers driven by operational amplifiers [OAs] . The attached schematic is a "new" one to add to their collection. I will not be surprised if this was done exactly somewhere else. A year ago, I needed to simultaneously attenuate, and ground-loop isolate the generous output signal of a compact disc player. I used a stepdown transformer [to attenuate] by Xicon [published response of 300 Hz -3.5Khz]. Two OAs [a dual OPA 2134] drove its primary out of a phase. The loop feedback of the OAs gave an output [at the secondary] frequency response which was flat [30 Hz -10 KHz; as seen on the scope]. So what?
  • A certain DIYer may wish to use the general topology of the attached schematic in an F6 application; despite the clear simplicity of the front end of F6.
  • Summing junction of OA2 [or its non-inverting port] may be the loop feedback point from the power output stage; speculation on my part.
  • A DIYer may wish to lower the power of F6 to make a headphone amp. I have 2 working prototypes [of the attached] which are great headphone [GRADO SR-80i] amps. The lows are rich and the highs are detailed. A testament to the high quality of the topology; despite the limited frequency response of the Xicon transformer.

Attachments

• TransfAmp.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 371
I found a very useful book chapter on audio transformers, by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers. http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/Audio Transformers Chapter.pdf
Thanks for the info. Last time I read it, I paid particular attention to "reflected impedance". Mr. Whitlock is a bright and knowledgeable scientist. He has also written other application notes; for example Jensen AN 003. It is entitled "Interconnection of balanced and unbalanced equipment". In it he showed schematics of Jensen transformers driven by operational amplifiers.

Pure Symmetry Lost

One of the charms about the transformer vs JLH/PLH phase splitter is that
it delivers pure symmetry in the same way a circlotron does - each like
polarity part is subjected to the same conditions, although in opposite
phase.

It is possible to do this with a phase splitter ala JLH/PLH, but if you look
carefully you will see that the bottom output device is run Common-Source
mode and the top device is Common-Drain. It is a rare circuit that will
deliver real symmetry under these conditions.

:cool:
The Jenson JT-123-FLPCH has inter-winding capacitances of 18nF. When these are taken into account, "pure symmetry" is lost because the secondary for the upper FET is moving with the output signal, vs the secondary of the lower FET is at a nearly constant voltage. The result is that the capacitive coupling to the gates introduces significant 2nd harmonic.

Now I understand why 0.1% THD at 1 watt might be expected, unless there are some tricks to be discovered.

Does the lack of symmetry come from the fet phase splitter in the PLH or the load that is presented to it by the two different output fets. Sy's impasse article states that a phase splitter is symmetrical if presented with a symmetrical load. I wonder if it is possible that the use of the transformer has manipulated the output into presenting the transformer with a symmetrical load. Here is a reference for the possiblity of the idea.

6C33C-B OTL Amplifier - Background and OTL Circuits

Nelson says its a classic, but i have a feeling that his "classic" is going to have a clever spin on it. taking something old and making it "new". No student is greater than his teacher.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
....... No student is greater than his teacher.

every good teacher is streaming exactly to opposite , even if just rare ones will better him .

anyway - study of magnetic apparatus's is good thing , but do not expect that numbers will tell most important part of the story ......... which is also hard to measure

feel of continuum
is probably most important nominator of said quality .

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
regarding symmetry - where I'm not loosing my sleep about that issue too much - off course that symmetry will be easier to maintain in F5-like circ but , as with all things in life-one must choose his compromises ;

it's relatively easy to see how many -properly made- sub-blocks are substituted with just one xformer ........

of course that amp will measure better with all that electronic sub-blocks shebang ; but - I have strong feeling that that gizmo will be lacking in one important area of sound - immediacy , comparing with xformer solution

The Jenson JT-123-FLPCH has inter-winding capacitances of 18nF. When these are taken into account, "pure symmetry" is lost because the secondary for the upper FET is moving with the output signal, vs the secondary of the lower FET is at a nearly constant voltage. The result is that the capacitive coupling to the gates introduces significant 2nd harmonic.

Now I understand why 0.1% THD at 1 watt might be expected, unless there are some tricks to be discovered.
What is the open loop gain of the proposed F6? Some of it needs to be sacrificed in order to lower intrinsic distortion and linearize the operation of the device.