F6 Amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
probably too much complicated , at least comparing to intended SS ones

difference is that your's are depletion mode devices , needing negative voltage on gate (ref. source) for proper biasing , while SS SJEP are enhanced mode devices , needing positive voltage on gates (ref. source) for proper biasing

meaning - for SS , all you need is few resitors , pots and caps

for your's - you need at least one additional PSU rail , more negative than main -PSU

I have taken up the challenge to try fill in parts of the F6 design before Nelson releases his complete design and specs.
I agree that SPICE doesn't know much about transformers, but at this point I cannot get decent distortion results (less than .01% at 1 watt) even with an "ideal" transformer.
Then you will be disappointed in the F6, as I am not even trying for lower than
0.1% at 1 watt.
:cool:
For me not the measured results is the benchmark (particularly regarded the value of low order THD), but the perception sonic results by listening tests at various loads (i. e. various loudspeakers).

More Ideas:
The first both topologies about
http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/Theory/N-channel D-MOSFET output stage with improved linearity.pdf
shows a NMOS Power gain output PP stage (common source) and Current gain output PP stage (source follower).
Is this also possible with a passive solution (i. e. by use of a driver transformer, as intended here) ??

Last edited:
For me not the measured results is the benchmark (particularly regarded the value of low order THD), but the perception sonic results by listening tests at various loads (i. e. various loudspeakers).

More Ideas:
The first both topologies about
http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/Theory/N-channel D-MOSFET output stage with improved linearity.pdf
shows a NMOS Power gain output PP stage (common source) and Current gain output PP stage (source follower).
Is this also possible with a passive solution (i. e. by use of a driver transformer, as intended here) ??

The first two schematics are interesting. The second one describes a linear transconductance amp; noting the general interest in this type of amp.

Attachments

• Okun.jpg
    Okun.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 694
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Would any of these line matching from James Transformer do the trick ?

·sºô頁1

Looks like JS-251N would be fine , no?

according to data , yes ;

but!! only if CT means that you can wire them as needed : 150 // 150 : 150 +150 (where + means independent )

will they be better that Jensens .......... just direct comparison can tell

Last edited: