F6 Amplifier

Wouldn't bias currents in the secondaries cancel each other out? If there was a circuit that tweeked one of the current sources to trim offset, that would be an error that wouldn't be cancelled.

The windings aren't tied together, so no there isn't any cancelation. They act like single ended coils and the tiny core will be saturated with anything over a minute dc current.

Rush

The windings aren't tied together, so no there isn't any cancelation. They act like single ended coils and the tiny core will be saturated with anything over a minute dc current.

Rush
These transformers have quadfilar windings, meaning that the wires in the windings lay next to one another. This results better flux coupling and also more capacitive coupling. Here is an excellent book chapter on audio transformers: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/Audio Transformers Chapter.pdf. Equal but opposite DC currents in the windings should result in flux calcallation.

It is becoming obvious that there are many possible F6 biasing schemes. It suggest that DIYers design their breadboard or PC board layout in a modular way consisting 5 sections:

• Input JFET driver and transformer
  • Upper and lower bias circuits
  • Upper and lower output FETs and their gate and source resistors
Make it easy to change the bias circuits, without needing to change anything else.

I have some ideas for an F6 PC layout conforming to the "Universal Mounting Spec". Alternatively, it is possible to cut traces on an the Burning Amp BA-CO board for the F6 output FETs and their source and gate resistors. A separate small board would then hold the input driver, transformer and bias circuits.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Rush

winding doesn't know from where DC current is going and doesn't care for polarity

core knows what's happening ........ and is not giving a F from where coils are fed ..... but is pretty much giving a F for polarity

:clown:

Rush
Rush, and others: I keep going back to post #38 and its attached schematic OTLAmp1 of a successful and well-established power amp from the last century. I recall working with it in 1972. Some current is passing through the secondaries of the interstage transformer, and no capacitors were used to block it. I continue to struggle with this question. Why can't the output stage of simplified F6 schematic be exactly like that shown in the corresponding OTLAmp1; with the deliberate [and simple] scaling up of the bias voltages to accomodate the JFETs? Afterall, a bjt is also transconductance device like any other "FET". Thus, Mr. Pass will have little else up his sleeve as buzzforb hinted at in an earlier post.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes , everything can be made

but this one certainly isn't made for that

so - what's the fuss - I know that I can toss at least 5mA of unbalanced current through my repeaters , without loosing anything ...... but through Jensen ....... I'm sure it's not the case

conclusion - use bigger xformer , and world is your oyster , regarding myriad biasing possibilities

if one is going to use delicate Jensen , DC through coil is no-no .......

canceling is impossible , because you need twins Semisouths and such thing doesn't exist

Rush, and others: I keep going back to post #38 and its attached schematic OTLAmp1 of a successful and well-established power amp from the last century. I recall working with it in 1972. Some current is passing through the secondaries of the interstage transformer, and no capacitors were used to block it. I continue to struggle with this question. Why can't the output stage of simplified F6 schematic be exactly like that shown in the corresponding OTLAmp1; with the deliberate [and simple] scaling up of the bias voltages to accomodate the JFETs? Afterall, a bjt is also transconductance device like any other "FET". Thus, Mr. Pass will have little else up his sleeve as buzzforb hinted at in an earlier post.

Your right, I wasn't thinking.
If the currents are equal and opposing should balance. If there is a small offset, should be OK, depends on core size.
Someone said, just try it.

Probably a good idea.

Rush

so - what's the fuss - I know that I can toss at least 5mA of unbalanced current through my repeaters , without loosing anything ...... but through Jensen ....... I'm sure it's not the case
Mr. Pass is already using a Jensen transformer, and is assessing the subjective and objective performance of his F6. This by itself is useful information. A bigger transformer is not required. The bias Vgs for JFet is + 1.2 V [past post]; twice that of bjt. How bad can it really get in a circuit of a schematic like that of OTLAmp1? Gate current is in microAmps; and by contrast it is at a milliAmp level for bjt [base current].

Last edited:
ZM : you wrote:

I=2A

40C : Ugs=1V576
70C : Ugs=1V581

Ugs is almost a contant at 1.576-1.581 V in the temperature range. It implies great thermal stability. What is the attendant Gate current under these conditions ? It will be the talked about current flowing in the secondary of the transformer when I look at the schematic of OTLAmp1.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
...... How bad can it really get in a circuit of a schematic like that of OTLAmp1? Gate current is in microAmps; and by contrast it is at a milliAmp level for bjt [base current].

apples and oranges

Jensen simply isn't made for that

from datasheet :
Driving signals should be
free of DC and source impedance kept as low as possible.

I know from experience what's happening when xformer - not made for it- is having any DC through coils ; just google for "signal xformer de-magnetising procedure"

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It implies great thermal stability. What is the attendant Gate current under these conditions ?..

yes - I measured that some time ago (while I was making disgraceful Babelfish J2)
current - dunno - don't remember ........ because Papa gave that info few times , and I just didn't found worth remembering it - irrelevant for common usage

.... It will be the talked about current flowing in the secondary of the transformer when I look at the schematic of OTLAmp1.

I'm simply refusing any further talk about possible direct connection of coils in biasing scheme ; my fingers are sore from myriad of posts in this thread , contemplating about these issues

you didn't mention AC :clown:

The mystery surrounding the biasing of the F6 output continues..

not really ;

re-read thread few times

Last edited: