F6 Amplifier - Page 369 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2013, 03:20 PM   #3681
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Too bad your not in NC anymore, you could listen to a whole range of FW clones. I could give subjective opinions, with measurements, but who would listen.
If you are suggesting that it would be interesting to see if certain measurements of amp function could be always related to specific sound perception I would have to agree most strongly. So I for one would listen to your views. Hard work though.
Reviews in magazines are usually centred on a particular model without trying to break down why those sounds are the way they are. Nelson seems to know how a particular circuit will sound but then he builds them so often he knows how to join the dots.
A question relating to how the F6 sounds when you are playing with the pots/phase thing: Is it possible in any amp to get maximum sense of space and depth in the soundstage whilst at the same time enjoying pinpoint accuracy of instrument position or do we always have to sacrifice one for the other?
It occurs to me that electrons have the same problem: momentum or position but not both at the same time.
Old 13th February 2013, 04:02 PM   #3682
diyAudio Member

I'll start a new thread and start with F5T v2, as it is currently in position. I can have two other amps in functional cases, so ill finish my F6 and have it for direct comparison. Your welcome to enjoy my subjective entertainment.
Old 13th February 2013, 08:24 PM   #3683
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbones View Post
If you are suggesting that it would be interesting to see if certain measurements of amp function could be always related to specific sound perception I would have to agree most strongly. So I for one would listen to your views. Hard work though.
Reviews in magazines are usually centred on a particular model without trying to break down why those sounds are the way they are. Nelson seems to know how a particular circuit will sound but then he builds them so often he knows how to join the dots.
A question relating to how the F6 sounds when you are playing with the pots/phase thing: Is it possible in any amp to get maximum sense of space and depth in the soundstage whilst at the same time enjoying pinpoint accuracy of instrument position or do we always have to sacrifice one for the other?
It occurs to me that electrons have the same problem: momentum or position but not both at the same time.
Maybe Heisenberg had a F6

Last edited by flocchini; 13th February 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: sp correction
Old 17th February 2013, 11:50 AM   #3684
diyAudio Member

Guys according to your experience with IRF flavor F6, what are its heatsink needs?
I have some modushop ones. The ones used in their 4U dissipante chassis.
(16,5cm x 20cm x 4cm at 0,31 C/W)

Will one be enough for a single channel?
I m thinking probably not....
Old 17th February 2013, 12:11 PM   #3685
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

you already know the answer - two of these , per side , in their 4U/400 case , is adequate for common FW amp

5U is even better

whatever - add small lazy vent (12cm PC vent (Noctua is overkill and silent) either on some controller or just 6-7V ) and you're good
Old 17th February 2013, 12:50 PM   #3686
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
you already know the answer
I did
Old 17th February 2013, 01:12 PM   #3687
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using a 3u 300mm deep sink per channel on my f6 build and use the same size on my moskido biased at about 1.2A per device.

I have one channel of the f6 running and biased at 1A per device. Let it sit for about 30 min and it was very warm but I could keep my hand on it. I will take a temp reading today.

Also I have a 4device per channel f5 and use the 4u 300mm deep sinks on it. Bias is set at about .5A per device and the sinks work well.

200mm on the 4u would be pushing it and you would probably struggle to reach 1A per device.
Old 17th February 2013, 01:21 PM   #3688
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

While I don't have a F6 I've used the 3U 300mm also on Aleph J monoblocks. I can put my hand on them for 10+ seconds so according to Nelsons very scientific scale the temps should be fine =)
Old 17th February 2013, 02:05 PM   #3689
diyAudio Member

I have had them on 10" x 4" 10.08 profile from heat sink USA with no real heat issues. Let um burn.
Old 17th February 2013, 03:32 PM   #3690
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

After idling for 30 minutes the temp of the heatsink was 124deg F. Bias settled down to 450mV on 0.50 ohm source resistors so 900mA per device.

Hide this!Advertise here!