F6 Amplifier - Page 364 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 01:24 AM   #3631
diyAudio Member

Hasnt it been shown that batteries are not even the lowest noise option. I tihnk they have high current noise, possibly. Cant remember
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:54 AM   #3632
diyAudio Member

I don't remember either. There was some study with measurements somewhere on the web. If I remember correctly the lead acid were worst than Li-on and I think amongs the best were typical not rechargable batteries if I'm correct.

But for sure even the worst battery very often is better than poor or average power supply. This is my own expirence also. Otherwise i wouldn't bother.

Last edited by zygibajt; 3rd February 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:16 PM   #3633
Botte is offline Botte  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Anybody want to give pointers on using visual analyzer to do distortion testing. I thought i had it figured out, but cannot get repeatable results.
Hi Buzz,

Is it the analyzer or getting harmonic phase that has been problematic?

The harmonic phase display doesn't lock very well for me, I watch that both the fundamental and second harmonic to see that both are in the same direction. This was easier to get a handle on with the BA-3 because I could just turn the pot and watch it change.

Also I get better results with the sample rate higher and the sample size larger. Otherwise I see spurious spikes in the spectrum display.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd February 2013, 04:27 PM   #3634
generg is offline generg  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Buzz and Botte! I can confirm the problem to use the phase window in Visual analyser.
You have to choose the threshold button to get away the many spurious lines and to see just only the the fundamental and the first harmonic k2. But as Botte said this does not help always...
First I was even irritated that the fundamental was going negative, until I remembered that F6 seems to have the phase at the output opposite to the input, so the fundamental can have negative phase.?.....
That means to me that wenn the fundamental is negative in phase, the k2 should go in the same negative direction, to be in positive correlation to the fundamental...... correct?

Sometimes I had a flipping effect, the k2 phase switched on both sides.

So this function seems not always stable, nevertheless for Windows I like this program very much. Sometimes I have the feeling the distortion values shown are too low, compared to other programs.
Sometimes the picture in the THD window freezes when I try to calibrate, sometimes not. It is still a beta, I hope the final version will be better.

To get the voltage of the output of the amp down (normally 2,83V/8R for 1W measurements) to a value lower than 1V for the sound card input, here are two links

http://www.virtins.com/Virtins_Sound...obe_Manual.pdf

Electronic Equiptment - DIY soundcard scope probe
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:14 PM   #3635
Botte is offline Botte  United States
diyAudio Member

I use this CordellAudio.com - The Distortion Magnifier

It works great and gives a differential input to the laptop and what's another project.
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:52 PM   #3636
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for more distortion info

I am still determined at some point to see why I prefer the neg phase of the F6

At this time I am using reversed hot and ground speaker connections - it sounds best to my ears.
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:24 PM   #3637
diyAudio Member

Here are some transfer curves for the SS I have.They are done at 24V
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (91.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:36 PM   #3638
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

primarily tnx to my friend with brain (me clueless) - sp300b , here are LTSpice models for both SJEP and SJDP ; one as lib/asy , other one already put in standard.jft

functional , they are .

Attached Files
File Type: zip SS Models for Greedy Boyz.zip (3.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:45 PM   #3639
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here are some transfer curves for the SS I have.They are done at 24V
then there is teaser ......... what's possible with same technology

as common and proper Greedy Boy , I'm salivating to see something as that on free market ......... while as eternal Pa's orphan I wish all exclusivity to stay at FW and PL stable .....

just look how is laid 22/4 line , across Ugs curves .......

they're made exactly for common FW PSU !!

edit : you can also see what's proper way for drawing triode curves , needed for proper graphical construction of stage ....... as in yore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pass SIT-1-CURVE.jpg (38.9 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by Zen Mod; 3rd February 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 04:34 AM   #3640
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hasnt it been shown that batteries are not even the lowest noise option. I tihnk they have high current noise, possibly. Cant remember
that depends very much on the battery and the conditions its used in. here its hardly loaded, noise will be extremely low, voltage or current. there is a reason they are almost always called for in regulator and opamp noise and distortion testing rigs in datasheets from Ti, Linear (Dear old Jim loved the odd battery), National and AD. they make it easier to avoid ground loop currents and switching noise on ground; these days this is of significant advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygibajt View Post
I don't remember either. There was some study with measurements somewhere on the web. If I remember correctly the lead acid were worst than Li-on and I think amongs the best were typical not rechargable batteries if I'm correct.

But for sure even the worst battery very often is better than poor or average power supply. This is my own expirence also. Otherwise i wouldn't bother.
yeah thats all old testing though, doesnt include any of the polymer types favored in audio today, which are IMO orders of magnitude more useful. If I remember correctly its on the TNT website and they arent really impartial.

jackinnj offered to test some A123 cells for noise on the AP, but shipping lithium batteries by air is difficult and very expensive from Au, only fedex accepts them, maybe someone else will take up this offer to put this to rest? please dont send crappy ebay fake A123.

in short there are more advantages to batteries than noise, but they can be a pita to implement as far as charging is concerned. as used in the F6 I wouldnt think they would need charging often at all.

Last edited by qusp; 4th February 2013 at 04:36 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!