F6 Amplifier

Would I be correct in saying that I could stick with the stock 5v1 zener

Any disadvantage in using the IRFP150 over the IRFP250

1) Most likely yes, it will also depend on Vgs threshold, choose parts with the lowest threshold value to be sure.

2) IRFP150 is slightly better than IRFP250

If you mean comparing IRFP150 vs IRFP240
Then yes IRFP150 is a quite a bit better than IRFP240, there are no trade offs.
It’s a single gain stage amp, a higher transconductance part will perform better here.
More drive, higher power, better damping, lower distortion.
All better, there are no trade offs.

Last edited:
If it is so , why the IRFP240 has been chosen for the F6 in the first place !!!

Papa has a stack of 240 parts.
He chose IRFP240 over Semisouth parts even though the semisouth parts are considered generally better in most applications.
For the same reason IRFP240 is better than Semisouth, IRFP150 is better than IRFP240 in this specific application.

Papa has a stack of 240 parts.
He chose IRFP240 over Semisouth parts even though the semisouth parts are considered generally better in most applications.
For the same reason IRFP240 is better than Semisouth, IRFP150 is better than IRFP240 in this specific application.

is this a reason , really !!!! , I thought the chosen part were the best available for the job ,
I normaly do so when i build something ;)

then invent , build and share

don't forget to explain your choices , too

:clown:

I am not saying the IRFP240 is a bad choice , I run an F6 and I know it works well , I am saying IRFP150 "could "be a better choice so why , for the same money , it hasn't be chosen in the first place , I am not judging , I am trying to understand , nothing more ;)

and dont worrry I will try these "famous" IRFP150 , and let you know :D

is it a forum where people can think and speak freely or is it a place where everybody must think the same way :rolleyes:

I am not saying the IRFP240 is a bad choice , I run an F6 and I know it works well , I am saying IRFP150 "could "be a better choice so why , for the same money , it hasn't be chosen in the first place , I am not judging , I am trying to understand , nothing more ;)

and dont worrry I will try these "famous" IRFP150 , and let you know :D

is it a forum where people can think and speak freely or is it a place where everybody must think the same way :rolleyes:

If you want lower distortion, better damping, and the potential ability to run at higher power ratings or better handling of difficult loads at max power eg magnepans etc, then IRFP150 is better than IRFP240, but whether it is better for you personally, that is up to you to decide.

If you want lower distortion, better damping, and the potential ability to run at higher power ratings or better handling of difficult loads at max power eg magnepans etc, then IRFP150 is better than IRFP240, but whether it is better for you personally, that is up to you to decide.

Let me know who doesn't want those nice feature :D

Fact is I am about to rebuild my liquid cooled F6 with "premium" parts and i think IRFP150 will fit perfectly ;)

isn't what DIY is ( also) all about , having great fun :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

is it a forum where people can think and speak freely .... :rolleyes:

exactly.

and that's why we are trying to learn and be wiser , when contemplating about "better" and "best" ........ also judging and knowing what and how big difference are ..... thus being able to respect choices made with experience

so , make your F6 with IRFP240 and make another one with IRFP150 ; everything else the same

be sure that you're really hearing exact difference between them , then feel free to raise a Flag of Eureka :rofl:

YouTube

in other words - don't be so serious while making choices ....

be deadly serious respecting process of learning and cherish it , but insist on laughing and fun while performing whatever you learned

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
IRFP240 is Papa's workhorse - well known , well examined, proven , bought in enormous quantity ;

IRFP150 is just a pair of them in one case ; in some cases that could be virtue , in some cases not ...... it always depends what your goal is

anyway , major thing Pa is doing all the time here - is not giving us Greedy Boyz new amp or preamp schematic every month or 3 , but - to think with our own heads

so , feel free to think and make your own choices

example - in my iteration of Aleph J , (Babelfish J) I chose pair of IRFP150 , instead of 2 pairs of IRFP240 as in original ;

no matching needed - main benefit ; is it sounding better than with 2 pairs of 240? - probably the same

Zen Mod , till now I haven't got an answer of why IRFP240 instead of IRFP150 in first place , if you have an answer , you'r welcome :)

may be there is no answer , and it is ok for me , i just wanted to know , that's it .

It could be as simple as making the amp sounding different to the other amps.
Papa doesn't always go for the lowest distortion best specs possible etc but voices each amp to sound a little different than the previous product to please some other type of customer etc.
Maybe using IRFP150 brings the distortion closer to J2 etc, or makes it sound too much like one of the other products.

Last edited:
I’m using FQH44N10 Mosfets in my F6, and that has been going quite well so far. I’m tickling them with higher voltage and current, but they would probably be fine with more standard F6 parameters. I wanted to try something that would be capable of driving my Vandersteens harder than the amps already in my stable.