F6 Amplifier

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The amp camp ones look far too small for the F6. I'd say the 4U is the minimum

4U should be perfect and is what I am building mine in. 5U is huge, but if you might switch out to another amp later it might be good. I used 5U for BA-3 Amp...there is lots of room for everything in there, 4U is a little cramped, I may put transformer up on end like 6L6 did in his F6 build thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/277850-f6-illustrated-build-guide.html

5U has plenty of room for everything and more sink for hotter projects. I plan on another 4U for M-2, two more 5U for BBA-3 monoblocks.:)

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nothing fancy.
A PC-scope and a soundcard. ARTA software. Well, Victor generator for the 1kHz tests...

But anyways,
all you really need for audio is a good soundcard.
Something with 192kHz sampling rate at 24bits. Asus has one, for example, and so on...

Final schematic and THD here.

A question for you palstanturhin, how did you trim the diamond buffer to zero offset? And does it drift particularly as the bjt's warm up?

...and don't worry about answering! I see you have already covered that off to some degree earlier :)

Hey! :)

Matching is not critical.
However, if you are afraid of feeding some DC to the transformer, match the diamond first stage NPN/PNP.
That alone usually does the trick.
If you are a perfectionist, match the second stage also. But first stage is more important.

The prototype tests was done with an unmatched diamond.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
thanks for getting back!

Thanks!

DC - That was indeed why I was asking. I'm busily SPICEing a few variants of the buffer at the moment, using this as a starting point. Ive a built f6 here in front of me but the jfets are not at all well matched, so my thought is to retro fit the diamond buffer and use the jfets elsewhere... :)

Another question if i may? Theres a couple of 'extra' caps on the pcb around the diamond that aren't on the schematic. Before I trace them through, what are they for/ where do they go?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
4U should be perfect and is what I am building mine in. 5U is huge, but if you might switch out to another amp later it might be good. I used 5U for BA-3 Amp...there is lots of room for everything in there, 4U is a little cramped, I may put transformer up on end like 6L6 did in his F6 build thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/277850-f6-illustrated-build-guide.html

5U has plenty of room for everything and more sink for hotter projects. I plan on another 4U for M-2, two more 5U for BBA-3 monoblocks.:)

Russellc

Having finished F-6 in the Deluxe 4U chassis, I can tell all that it is more than adequate for this amplifier. At standard bias, it is just warm. Going higher it is still good.

It is indeed smaller than the 5U I built BA-3 in and I wondered, but F-6 does not appear to be as hot as some Pass amps. While considerably smaller that 5U, it is just fine, not borderline, but fine.

I think I will build M-2 in a 4U as well.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/277850-f6-illustrated-build-guide-6.html#post4600106

Russellc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used these heat sinks and they were OK!
Uses SemiSouth outputs.

9"x4.25"x2.5"

Attachments

• 001_Sm25.jpg
    001_Sm25.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 760
  • 006_Sm25.jpg
    006_Sm25.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 683