F6 Amplifier

Finally got my F6 running, I needed a bit more gain so I reduced the feedback resistor from 18Ω → 10Ω. Volume control already set to 4 o'clock position for my usual listening levels. Volume control is a multichannel TVC between DCX2496 and amp. Have nor stayed playing with Zen pot; for that I need to get my distortion analyzer working first. I bought a EMU 0204. Any recommendation of software that works well with the EMU in Windows 7 environment please share.

Sound wise similar to the PP1-C EL34 clone which have resident in my system, which competitors of active crossover with this amp driving 4 pairs of Jordan JXR6HD in a open baffle line array. So I'm not disappointed as this is just stock, no tweaks yet. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I'll.

Alex

p.s. This is with the SS I bought from teabag. Will try the match curve pair from Semisouthfan soon.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk 2

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Is it a good thing for the output transistors to have a slowstarter on the powertransformers primaty?

a slowstart shoulnd't affect the output transistors that much. But it will let you use a significantly smaller fuse & a fast blow one which is very nice.

Without a slowstart then the large capacitance in the power supply will create a surge when you start it up, but with the slowstart this surge can be negated.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
F6 - Mono or Stereo Power Supply?

For those whom have built the F6 as outlined in the article- is there a benefit to using mono supplies for each channel? Will there be any significant sonic gains?

I have two 500va toroids, but was thinking, if there is no added benefit, maybe one toroid is enough. Then I could save the extra toroid for another future project.

AN-5218 - 500VA 18V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

What about one toroid, 4 rectifier bridges and two banks of filter caps?
Can there still be cross-talk?

Thanks for your comments.

Vince

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I would be more inclined to make a outboard PSU for the transformer, rectifier and first caps, that will keep the bulk of the switching noise away from the circuit, but much more importantly, keep the big honkin' unshielded toroid away from the little unshielded input transformers...