F6 Amplifier - Page 226 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 07:24 AM   #2251
diyAudio Member

Increasing the Rs size definitely cleaned things up, but it sounded compressed, without any soundstage. Sweet spot is elusive
Old 5th October 2012, 08:43 AM   #2252
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhquam View Post
I am referring to AC voltage between the winding and ground (or other windings) not the AC voltage across the winding.

By Gain, I am referring to the closed-loop gain of the amplifier. Actually, the ratio of Vout to the voltage into the top of the driven primary winding.
Thx for precision.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:36 AM   #2253
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generg View Post
.....the problem could be that two perfect matched halves produce mostly k3 and no k2 and a slight mismatch will care for the k2 part. Of course absolute distortion is growing in this way, but the SemiSouth have so much less distortion compared to the IRF that you can risk some more k2 distortion to tailor the sound!

you must only find a way to get the offset of about 200mV back to zero but keep the distortion spectra.... or take a cap!
This could also be achieved by adding a small extra parallel [variable] current source that imbalances the balanced outputs to get just the trifle of H2 you like.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:39 AM   #2254
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

#2074 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
why offset , when you can add SE bias?
Old 5th October 2012, 04:58 PM   #2255
diyAudio Member

Is running primary in series a dumb idea?
Old 5th October 2012, 05:02 PM   #2256
lhquam is offline lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

It reduces open-loop gain by a factor of 2 and changes the transformer impedances by a factor of 4. I cannot see any advantage for doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Is running primary in series a dumb idea?
Old 5th October 2012, 06:16 PM   #2257
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After switching back to my F5 balanced with minimal THD, I am less happy with it now. High frequencies are too too sharp.

By first F5 build had badly mismatched FETs. But there was a satisfying sweetness to its sound that I have not been able to replicate. At that time I did not have equipment to measure the harmonics, so I do not know what the harmonic mix might have been. So far, my tweaking of the Teaser-6 does not come anywhere near to that sound.
lhquam: A method to tackle what you are doing is to start with an amp which already has an accredited sweet spot and then deny it [and yourself]; but of course reversibly, and at will. For example; you seem happy with your F5. I gather [implicitely] from your reports that it operates at its sweet spot. So here is a proposed approach to unravel the role of the Jensen transformer and loop feedback as potential variables affecting the sweet spot.

The attached file ModF5.pdf shows a proposed modification of the F5 schematic which I copied from the attendant article by Mr. Pass. It is not F5; but a tool to study the suspect variables above. I cut the pristine schematic of F5 at selected spots by using a razor blade. I then inserted the Jensen transformer plus other passive components, and finally spliced everything back together. It may need further tweaking; but I hope that my surgery was least intrusive so as to "preserve' the parent sweet spot. The mod circuit has a Zen Pot [P3; is it the sweet spot generator?], and the bias of the output stage is essentially unperturbed. I am not sure about the components in the NFB path; but they can be adjusted to suit.

The schematics [ConceptualF6#0,1,2.pdf] which I proposed in an earlier post several days ago can also be used as tools to study the effects of above suspect variables. The parent Zen amps are already accredited with "sweet spot" musicality.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ModF5.pdf (53.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 5th October 2012, 06:39 PM   #2258
diyAudio Member

Default Proposed alternate biasing scheme for Conceptual F6

Dear DIYers. The subject is attached. I borrowed the thought process to write it from the schematic of F5. May have DC servo-action; not that your current designs [Teaser-6, Franken6 etc.] need auto offest control.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ConceptualF6 Bias.pdf (36.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 5th October 2012, 09:32 PM   #2259
The one and only

Quote:
I am not sure that the ratio of H2 to H3 can be held constant across frequency with H2>H3.
You also will have difficulty trying to keep the ratio constant with different
amplitudes. Probably best to select for your listening level.

Old 5th October 2012, 09:50 PM   #2260
Ejam is offline Ejam  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default End the Agony

Nelson

How about ending our collective misery and releasing the F6 article, please. 2000 plus replies is surely enough agony.

Hide this!Advertise here!