F6 Amplifier

Buzz(and all), do SMD really better than good old resistors?

My subjective opinion is yes. Fortunately I have objective backing in this case. The Vishay TNPW and Susumu RG I have used, show uber low current noise numbers. May not notice it as much in a power amp when compared to RIAA, but if you look inside PASS preamps, that is what you find. I use them in power amps because I like the clean look. At at the end of the day, I believe they improve things a bit. Little more clarity and slightly improved space. Kinda like a good reg on a preamp. Of course it assumes that you got all other noise issues under control.

Yup. In the quantity he buys, 5ppm, low noise SMD, is chump change. Susumu RG is 5ppm and so quiet it is getting difficult to measure. TNPW measures same S102K. If you get setup for it, easier than through hole to solder.
It helps me sleep, as it removes one more excuse for me not to like something or another part for me to want to dabble with.
In RIAA, stepping from Vishay TNPW to .2ppm TX2575, was noticable, but worth $10? Thats why RG is next on the list, it is getting even closer....in theory, and only cost $.35/resistor. Funny all this talk about SMD and we have a transformer in the circuit:D
Still my favorite, but gotta try J2 and M2. BA3B already cued up.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I hope this is not too much .....

Attachments

• UGS SMD.jpg
    UGS SMD.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 307
Joined 2009
Paid Member
last info on the F6 resistor splitting in PSU.....:D

yesterdays experience was with 2x four 1R in the PSU between the cap banks....

the soundstage got more volume, but the sound got less dramatic on sax and so on...

I remembered the F6 PSU has only 0R47 in it, so I simply added four more 1R in the right places and got more liveliness back.

Especially for k3 dominant FW Amps (F5, M2, F1 clones) this mod is a possibility to make the sound less "aggressive" and more round....

I think you have to check the right value for your system, for mine the 8x1R splitted solution was a bit too much....

would be nice to hear other peoples experiences......;)