F6 Amplifier - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2012, 04:56 PM   #201
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
you asked .....
Interesting.. But would this work in practice ? Here are some issues:

I think based on my own past experience that the coyote and rOadrunner are out of phase...

Secondly, there is the issue of wind resistance and variability caused by fluctuating atmospherics interfering with the otherwise parabolic descent of the payload

Nonetheless interesting idea ..... I'm sure the more experienced ones can add further
Old 25th July 2012, 05:00 PM   #202
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Meep, meep!
I'm a hound dog, not a bird dog
Old 25th July 2012, 05:47 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=flg;3104235]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinel View Post
Ya, ya, ya, I don't know myself but, based on Papa not making a mistake in the o and o . I beleive there is a posibility the wrong phase/gain device is helping distortion and the easy to understand 1/2 of the circuit might be more normal to understand. I obviously don'nt quite get it yet.
Previously I stated "it might take a few beers". Last night I had a few Martini's
instead? but I beleive the device providing the wrong polarity feedback is providing a more local control of the other 1/2s non linearity... ???
I've yet to sim this thing. that alows free'er thinking and easy experimenting but, I have a little trouble with a Xfrm'r sim without just playin until it works??? This weekend maybe...
My simplististic mental picture of the in-phase drive in F6 follows. The channels of both JFETS will open wider when they simultaneously receive an equal positive signal drive. A current larger than standby will rush between +Vc to -Vc. Will some of this added signal current be diverted to the load [and then to its ground], and not bypassed fully to -Vc? Yes, only if the bottom channel is less open than the upper one due to this unique output topology. So, the bottom choked JFET is a high impedance to the upper JFET which is working in the common drain configuration. On the negative stroke, both channels will be choked. Are they choked equally? It cannot be yes. Current flows from ground through the load and then through the bottom channel if it is substantially more open than the upper one. Thus, the upper choked JFET is a high impedance load to the bottom JFET working in the common source configuration. This is a power amplifier. How's the topology manage this selective opening and choking of the channels to do useful work in a loudspeaker?
Old 25th July 2012, 05:53 PM   #204
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Antoinel;3104320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
...... How's the topology manage this selective opening and choking of the channels to do useful work in a loudspeaker?
I still think we need to wait , to see what's Papa's next tip ;

it's either push pull (misplaced little circle in schmtc), or wakoo SE ;

it's easy to control amplitude of upper modulation

be sure that he tried all those mysterious ways ........ and chose,for him, most amusing one
Old 25th July 2012, 06:04 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

OK really noobish attempt to understand this.
From what I can understand with my (again noobish) knowledge, the top and down mosfets are cancelling/balancing each other.
The difference making things work comes from the resistor divider that goes below the transformer to the top source breaking the balance?
So the top mosfet works from the voltage from the secondaries plus the remaining from the primary, while the bottom only with that of the secondary?
Old 25th July 2012, 06:05 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

nope

those two resistors are pure and simple NFB path
Old 25th July 2012, 06:16 PM   #207
willamp is offline willamp  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

I'm sorry to ask what must be a dumb question but I've been waiting for someone to mention it and if they did I missed it somehow.

What is the 'V' in a circle that is attached to the transformer secondaries? In my spice centric brain that means a voltage source but I suspect that's not the case here.

Anyway, I've been enjoying all the discussions. Can't wait to see a working schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V.jpg (9.9 KB, 704 views)
Old 25th July 2012, 06:25 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

DC voltage source , conveniently placed there , to properly bias output Jfet
Old 25th July 2012, 06:30 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

It helps to draw the little squiggles at the various input and output nodes.

What is the closed loop gain of this amp? Is it more than 12dB?
Old 25th July 2012, 06:34 PM   #210
willamp is offline willamp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
DC voltage source , conveniently placed there , to properly bias output Jfet
Thanks ZM, how would you invision it being implemented? A battery, or would you need actual psu? There would be virtually no current required correct?

I have a phono pre-amp that uses a small 1.5v battery in series with the input signal to bias the grid of the 1st vacuum tube. No current needed so battery lasts for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v2.jpg (12.2 KB, 696 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!