F6 Amplifier - Page 200 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2012, 12:15 AM   #1991
diyAudio Member

If you remember, this was my suggestion. I agree, this gives greatest freedom and I will do it. I have some pots on order and on the way. Odd thing is, I had more luck moving the cap, vs changing Rs. As for the harmonics, I was referring to post #1969. They seem to indicate distortion characteristics. In my playing with Ba3, I liked a little more second, as it added a little bloom to the sound. I have always found this to sound closer to what i hear in person. Nelson has suggested that it mimics the "asymmetrical nature of air". Where the perfect line is, I don't know, but I like the idea forwarded in the "Leaving Class A" article, where there is a suggestion of adding a little SE bias for low level musical reproduction, and then transitioning to a cleaner, less distorted level, for higher output. It jsut sounds more musical to me. 100% opinion of course. I really souhld take the time to learn something so that i can give some numbers info with my opinion. It seems to be more accepted in a forum like this. Makes sense to me considering the high level of talent found here and their unwillingness to accept normal audio spew.
Old 20th September 2012, 12:23 AM   #1992
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
If you remember, this was my suggestion. I agree, this gives greatest freedom and I will do it. I have some pots on order and on the way. Odd thing is, I had more luck moving the cap, vs changing Rs. As for the harmonics, I was referring to post #1969. They seem to indicate distortion characteristics. In my playing with Ba3, I liked a little more second, as it added a little bloom to the sound. I have always found this to sound closer to what i hear in person. Nelson has suggested that it mimics the "asymmetrical nature of air". Where the perfect line is, I don't know, but I like the idea forwarded in the "Leaving Class A" article, where there is a suggestion of adding a little SE bias for low level musical reproduction, and then transitioning to a cleaner, less distorted level, for higher output. It jsut sounds more musical to me. 100% opinion of course. I really souhld take the time to learn something so that i can give some numbers info with my opinion. It seems to be more accepted in a forum like this. Makes sense to me considering the high level of talent found here and their unwillingness to accept normal audio spew.
Seldom do I see anyone that is good with "numbers" being able to correlate the numbers to more depth - space, vertical and horizontal, and air around instruments, etc. The harmonics are one thing, the really fun stuff is less about numbers, I think.

Rush
Old 20th September 2012, 12:26 AM   #1993
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

well , one can leave upper one with fixed (non)degeneration , while having Zen Amount pot on lower one

then put pot on front plate , and write SIT 1 wannabe

Old 20th September 2012, 12:30 AM   #1994
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I kinda admire this thread

2K posts , still without official schm

I bet we can make 4K

Old 20th September 2012, 12:42 AM   #1995
diyAudio Member

One more!

Definately wannebe for Me!
Old 20th September 2012, 12:44 AM   #1996
lhquam is online now lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

ZM: You might be right about 4K posts. I think the schematic has converged, but there is still a lot to learn about how parameter choices affect the sound. I think you are right about the Zen Pot on the front panel, but why only one? Having two pots lets you play with damping factor also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
I kinda admire this thread

2K posts , still without official schm

I bet we can make 4K

Old 20th September 2012, 12:45 AM   #1997
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
Seldom do I see anyone that is good with "numbers" being able to correlate the numbers to more depth - space, vertical and horizontal, and air around instruments, etc. The harmonics are one thing, the really fun stuff is less about numbers, I think.

Rush

I do believe the numbers are important. They help define/explain what it is we are hearing. For me, hearing comes first. This assumes of course, that you have Master ZEN of audio feeding you info and schematics. DiyAudio ROCKS!

+2
Old 20th September 2012, 12:47 AM   #1998
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
well , one can leave upper one with fixed (non)degeneration , while having Zen Amount pot on lower one

then put pot on front plate , and write SIT 1 wannabe

At .05 ohms, Ilquuam is basically at no degeneration. Just toss it

+3
Old 20th September 2012, 01:17 AM   #1999
lhquam is online now lhquam  United States
diyAudio Member

Toss it? I haven't converged to any final conclusion about what sounds best.

What I have been doing is explore the range of measurable performance. Having found that this amplifier is capable of being adjusted to have low 2nd harmonic distortion, with the pots, I can do experiments with listening preferences.

I intend to do exactly what I recommended to you: Rs=0R47 and easily accessible pots. Currently I am using multi-turn Bourns trimmers, but 4 turn shaft pots would be more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
At .05 ohms, Ilquuam is basically at no degeneration. Just toss it

+3
Old 20th September 2012, 02:35 AM   #2000
diyAudio Member

Just having a little fun. I actually think a little degeneration may be better than none, as the sound-stage can grow too much vertically. It is really recording dependent. But that is what is cool. This amp kinda shows you what was done in the audio booth at mastering. I tend to swing more towards ZM's idea of pot across the lower Jfet, leaving the upper alone. Sound wise, I haven't noticed much when switching Rs up top. Ill investigate different values there tomorrow.

Hide this!Advertise here!