Amp Camp Amp - ACA

My ACA's sit in direct line of sight of a group of 5 radio and television towers. High power signals at that. A 1 million watt UHF TV, Another 800kw UHF TV, and 4 100 kw FM stations.

The only way you know these amps are on are if they are playing music, or the LED's are on. Hopefully you will have the same result! But that is my experience with them.

I ordered an ACA kit the other day and am very much looking forward to building it. I really want to thank the people who make all this possible. I bet it's a hell lot of work and I really appreciate the products and support offered on this forum!

And there's a question: In the build guide I noticed that no sanding of the chassis parts is mentioned to make a good connection. Is noise or RF interference a problem with this design at all? Reason I'm asking is because I just spent a lot of time "silencing" another amp I built and had some massive issues with RFI noise.

Last edited:
I just wanted to post that my two cases have arrived for my amp kits. Well packed, they arrive in a shrink wrap in a styrofoamed box. They are in perfect shape. The HS code used for customs means there are no nasty tariff charges. All in all, a good experience. Now I am getting excited to receive the rest of the parts and start building. Jason (from DIY) was responsive and professional in his communications with me and answered all my questions. I am building a pair pf monos and am really interested to see how they compare with my McIntosh 754s.

Hey friends! Brief update from me: I had today my first soldering 'lesson'. It was fun! I grew up watching my dad solder, almost every day. So I had a notion of the 'moves', but it's another thing doing it. Really interesting.

Of course, I started with dad holding the PCB (not the ACA one, a test one with resistors and leds to build a traffic light for the RPi3 :) )... and he moved it and 'corrected' my moves, so I asked him: "do you think the clamps I will use will be as intelligent as you and move the PCB away from me at the right time?"... we had a laugh and kept going.

It was fun, it ended up good looking, and it was my birthday... so, as a birthday present, I learned how to solder! Great celebration really.

I will now try soldering with fixed clamps which will be less forgiving than my dad! LOL!... and with that, on to the ACA.

So, I'll be finishing mine probably just when everyone else starts getting the first 1.6 batch, which I have been following with keen interest.

See you soon, best regards,
Rafa.

Battery power? Please point me there.

Hello!

I have my order in for the latest ACA. I was wondering about two things:
I'm sure someone has run these of 24VDC. Please point me to that comment thread if possible as there are now nearly 500 pages to scroll through here alone - or if you have a comment please do.

Also, I notice you can buy the chassis with our without the front face cut out for a power button. I opted to have it with. Does it then come with a button switch or what are others using here? I happen to have a Hypex soft start module with the nifty little brushed aluminum button that has the blue led ring on it and might try that.

Thx for any comments. Build posts / pics links very welcome.

Regards
Tris

24v operation changes one thing - set the bias at 12v. Easy. :)

is it worth the change though? I have a Virtue Audio M-901 and it came with a SMPS or an optional wiring harness for 24v battery operation because the battery power was simply superior to any SMPS. The ACA runs on an SMPS so I was wondering if the same thing might not apply.

Thx
Tris