Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Some fun at the other end of the scale. Attached image is 3 Hz at 5V / div and load still the same 8.2 ohm resistor.

Think my big output capacitors does a good job here......

Attachments

• DSC_3824.jpg
    DSC_3824.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 172
Looks as good as it sounds!

so far.......[/QUOTE]

A collective NICE! For all of your pics.

We spent a couple of hours the first night I had mine running putting rubber pads behind pictures because of the bass response is phenomenal. Good to see it, too. I was too lazy to drag all of that stuff out and measure it. Was too busy listening.. : )

Hello again friends!

So, I went one more time hunting for heat sinks. The original design description by Mr. Pass (Amp Camp Amp #1) reads:
It is designed to mount on the flat surface of a heat sink with the output devices. Each channel of the amplifier has its own switching power supply and draws about 1 amp of current DC. The supply should be capable of delivering more than 2 amps of current short term. At 19 volts, the dissipation of the amplifier is about 20 watts, and the heat sink it is mounted on should not be allowed to get more than about 25 degrees Centigrade above the ambient temperature. This means that the rating of the sink should be around 1 deg C per watt.

I can get my hands on this:
http://disti-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/straightroadelectronics/files/datasheets/23768.pdf

Which is rated at 1.4ºC/W, which is about 50% less efficient than what is required in the literature. I was thinking I could put two of them in-line per channel, but they only have 3 in stock.

Is it really not enough or is there a chance that 1.4 may just work? They are sensibly smaller than those pictured in the kit cases, that is for certain.

Thanks for any feedback, best regards,
Rafa.

20 kHz sine looks like this.....Ok I think.
When I turn signal down to zero I have approx. 1.4A bias. When I turn up to 1.9V in (5.3 V RMS out) bias drops to approx. 1.27 A.

Amp seems to behave well.........

I see no problems so far.......

Both photos look good. The amp behaves admirably bearing in mind the simplicity, which is its main virtue.

Did you do the measurements with 19V DC or 24V DC?

Can you repeat the measurements with 4 ohms resistor loading?

Thanks,
Nick

How much are they for? Did you try the diyaudiostore site? You can buy same or better sized ones there

40mm Heatsinks – diyAudio Store

Thanks. The ones I have access to are $16 each.

The ones from DIY store are magnificent and oh, so beautiful and perfect. But I live where shipping two of those costs $40 on heat sinks and $46 on shipment. :(

So 6L6, Jason and people here have been incredibly kind and helpful in counseling me on locally available options.

Perhaps I can somehow make enough area touch the entire chasis so that it can help also with the dissipation?

Thanks once more,
Rafa.

The Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC gets along very well with these amps. It has both balanced and unbalanced outputs (Level controlled for both).

I use a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus which also has fixed or adjustable ouput (pre-amp). But I don't know if DAC can output more voltage that I get out in fixed mode. In pre-amp mode it adjusts output in the DSP by multiplying the digital input by a factor (usually < 1). I get better sound by using fixed output and passive pre-amp after DAC. Also when I put my ear close to the tweeter it is 99.99% silent but with DAC as active preamp the tweeter is "only" 97% silent or so......(the "sshhhyyyy" sound).

But I am looking for a DAC upgrade......but DAC Magic Plus was good sound for the money. Maybe a DIY Pass DAC?

Both photos look good. The amp behaves admirably bearing in mind the simplicity, which is its main virtue.

Did you do the measurements with 19V DC or 24V DC?

Can you repeat the measurements with 4 ohms resistor loading?

Thanks,
Nick

I set the lab PSU to 24V DC (think you can see it at one of the previous pictures). I just got the lab PSU (made in China I think.....rigth display not working! ....I am in contact with the seller for a fix....but both PSU channels working).

Yes, I can do 2 x 8.2 ohm in parallel. I put two 50W resistors on an alu rack front plate and put rubber feets under it). Will do it during the comming days. But I can only get 1.9 V out of my generator which seems a bit to low to get full swing at output with the NFB resistors I use (33.2k and 121k).

Attachments

• DSC_3827.jpg
    DSC_3827.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 546
Lab power supply can really be useful when playing around with amplifiers, tone generator, oscilloscope and various loads (capacitive as well!!).

Try to load the amp with 4 ohms, set the voltage to 24V, feed it 1.9V (any frequency, sinewave is good - avoid square waves because they stress the amplifiers unnecessarily...), and then see how the amp behaves when you start changing the current on the laboratory power supply.... :)

Ok.....I did a quick test here in the morning before driving to work.
One picture 8.2 ohm the other 4.1 ohm (10 kHz sine, 5V / div). You can see output voltage drops. Bias also drops to about 1.15 A. If I turn down the input signal to zero bias goes up again to approx. 1.4 A. It seems when the amp is cold the bias is a little higher than when it is hot (maybe 0.05 - 0.1 A less bias in hot condition).

Attachments

• DSC_3828.jpg
    DSC_3828.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 553
  • DSC_3829.jpg
    DSC_3829.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 535
Yes, it could be an option to use shielded cable or maybe twisted shielded cable and the only connect the shield at the input side.

I may have had a bad connection from my signal source as I can't provoke the amp now by touching the input cable / input capacitor. So it is less noise sensitive now.