Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I'm thinking about building my first ACA in a single chassis as an integrated amp with a built-in power supply (i.e., no bricks). Yes, I was at BA2017 and am aware that the ACA boards are being revised and a slightly more powerful alternative will soon be offered by the store, but I may just build an ACA using the v1.1 pcbs. Assuming a 24 VDC power supply, how much power supply capacitance is recommended for the ACA v1.1?

Regards,
Scott

I am in the process of building a Stereo ACA using a dual secondary transformer. Please be aware the ACA board ties the board ground to the mounting holes which could create a ground loop. I drilled out the holes slightly and added a plastic shoulder washer like the ones used on heatsinks for transistors. I plan on using a CL60 to tie ground to chassis.

Cap Multiplier for ACA

I'm about to start ordering parts for my first ACA V1.1 build and since it will be powered by an external server PSU (24V), I intend using a cap multiplier.

I have used part of a Juma Cap Multiplier schematic and I'm wondering whether the 47000uF and 4700uF caps should be used or not, since I don't need rectification.

This is really a question for XRK971, but others should feel free to chime in. ;)

(Pictured on the right is the original Juma Cap Multiplier, afaik).

Attachments

• PSU_cap_multiplier_monoblock.png
    PSU_cap_multiplier_monoblock.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 762
  • Juma-Cx-schematic.png
    Juma-Cx-schematic.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 772
Thanks for the replies. You guys are great.

4V drop is exactly what I'm hoping for, and I'll put the 4700uF back into my schematic.

The RS website (where I get most of the components from) says the IRFP240 has been discontinued. I assumed nobody else will have it either, but now I'll check.

Thanks, I found some IRFP240's at another local supplier. They have limited stock.

How would I know if it's original Vishay FET's? I've asked and the letters following 240 is Y7IK, not PBF.

A mate mentioned the IRFP244. Would that work if stock on the 240 runs out?

Last edited: