Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Ok Pico, I have it finished. I have 22.7vdc under load. Set bias at 11.42. This is after 1/2 hr. warm up and connected to 8 ohm speakers. Nothing on input.

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    922.6 KB · Views: 492
For 22.7V power supply
Anything between 11.4 and 12V across Q1 seems good.

Here it is at 11.6V Vds across Q1

Good deal. Thanks for checking this. I have them set at 11.92. Seems to like it there. Runs cool for class a. I can hold my hand on the heatsinks after a hour warm up. I'm also glad I went with the linear supply. These sound better than the first set I built with the switching supply.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
My friend gave me his unwanted transformer rated at 12v-0-12v 50VA.

Can I use this underrated transformer for this ACA?
As I remember, a rule of thumb is to take a transformer rated at least twice the needed power. My 19V ACA dissipated 25 W per side. My high power 24V ACA dissipates 35W per side.

So your tranformer might be good for a single side 16V ACA. 16V might be not enough for good sound.

My stereo 24V ACA relys on a 250W, 2x18V trafo (which I had unused laying around) and I would not go below 150 W.

Best

Ernst

Seems to be a good choice and bring you close enough to the wanted 19V. The few more you will get won't degrade the sound.

Yes, I wish I could get the best sound of it.

By the way, according to original design, without modification like increasing the voltage and bias, how hot the heatsink will be? I ordered a heatsink from RS UK which rated at 0.29degC/W and the size is 150x200x15. I have ordered 2 pieces of this. Do you think I can fit 2 boards (left anf right channel) into 1 piece, so that I could save another piece.