Amp Camp Amp - ACA

I haven't directly compared a laptop PS to the more "traditional" transformer and caps, but the laptop PS is very clean: DEAD quiet and has virtually NO ripple at all. Plus, it is already built and allows for a smaller chassis.

So we several observations plus and minus, we have Pappa's words (Get over it – it works fine) and we have the testing that showed "the output noise with the switching supply comes in around 100 uV." I wish we could settle this debate once and for all as it seems to be the number one mod for ACAs.

For me I think buying some more acoustic panels for my room would be a better improvement than changing out the laptop PS's, but I would love to see the above comparison just to put this one to bed.

Love my ACA's by the way.

I don't, but if you have the heat sinks, PCB board and parts, its easy enough to make any kind of chassis with wood if you wish
Mario

Attachments

• P8050360.JPG
    P8050360.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,283
  • P8050375-2.jpg
    P8050375-2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,262
Presence control

How can I implement presence control? - shunt high frequencies from feedback to ground so at the output high frequencies will be amplified.

I have tried implementation as in the schematics, but it works exactly opposite way - cutting high frequencies instead boosting them.

Attachments

• ACA 5W SE MOSFET Guitar.png
    ACA 5W SE MOSFET Guitar.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,177
How can I implement presence control? - shunt high frequencies from feedback to ground so at the output high frequencies will be amplified.

If you must have a presence control, try the schematic attached below. You will probably need to increase the presence cap to 220nF or 470nF. Be aware that the input has no protection and driving the power amp too hard can damage the JFET and/or the lower MOSFET. For more fun, just disconnect the 68K and run with no feedback. Change the electrolytics on the input, you can use much smaller film caps. They will recover faster when the amp is overdriven.

Attachments

• ACA_Presence.GIF
    ACA_Presence.GIF
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,107
Last edited:
BS170

Has anybody tried putting in BS170 for Q4? Seems it might work.

Don't know if there is an advantage of putting this in instead of 2SK170, but BS170 is widely available for a few cents and it sounds more mellow (from memory from earlier experiments).

Sometimes more hiss with BS170 in my experience.

works allright bs170

For the sake of knowledge, I have put in BS170 for Q4. The pot has to be adjusted just the normal way. At the gate of Q4 now appears around +6,7 Volts (to get around 4 - 4.5 Volt at the gate of Q1).

The sound is okay to me, can't tell the difference with the 2SK170 yet (around the same quality I guess, not too bad for this cheapie component). Pinning and orientation is the same as 2SK170. so it's easy to swap.