Amp Camp Amp - ACA

DiY Noob questions

Hey All,

I apologize if I am asking these questions in the wrong thread.

I am intrigued about the new ACA and have mustered the courage to try building my first amp (actual my first anything!). I was planning on using a pair of Vandersteen 2CE's and just wanted to confirm that the ACA can power the Vandy's. If I am barking up the wrong tree can someone suggest an alternate 1st time diy project that would work with the Vandersteens?

Much appreciated!

The current draw by the ACA starts slow so the thump is slow. At turnoff, there is a big thump because to power supply can't hold the voltage up very long with 1 amp flowing. It would take about 200,000uF across the supply rail to slow down the turnoff thump. An alternative to the big cap is a disconnect relay or an extra switch contact to disconnect or short the speaker.

Hi
I'm interested in the Amp camp amp – Chassis only– to use for a different compact amp
Before I order:

What is its size internally?
So there's a (16 mm) hole for a power switch, but no hole for an IEC power inlet? (Is it designed to use another case for the PSU?)
Packed, what does it weigh?
I didnt see a store FAQ - does the store ship to Australia?

Thanks

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just pre-ordered the complete kit. My previous projects have been tubed, or at least hybrid. I have always wanted to try a Pass class A SS amp with my Zu Audio Essence speakers. Just is just the ticket price-wise (and fun-wise) for me to get a sample.

The ACA will be compared to my current class AB1 EL34 PP 35watt amp.

From the reading above, there might be a slight improvement with a dedicated linear PSU, which could be yet another product.

DIY so far for me (well from kits, I am not an EE, or even an enthusiast willing to put in the time for trying to design my own. At least not yet) amp, tubed DAC, and most recently a Maxxed Phono Stage from K&K audio (lundahl transformers)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And the size in mm is about ( internally )
78t x 73w x 198d
Our understanding is that the writing on the front panel will come off with acetone.
there are now various other chassis' available:
http://www.diyaudio.com/store/amplifier-chassis.html
The store will ship most places, certainly Australia, but shipping cost may be prohibitive.

Hi
I'm interested in the Amp camp amp – Chassis only– to use for a different compact amp
Before I order:

What is its size internally?
So there's a (16 mm) hole for a power switch, but no hole for an IEC power inlet? (Is it designed to use another case for the PSU?)

Thanks

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you put one pair (you do get two!) in the cart you can then get a shipping estimate to Australia

Without packaging the weight is 2820g for the pair

Each chassis could probably work with a 2ch chip amp, but you'd need an external power supply

Not to worry we've got chassis' for that too, without heatsinks.

Last edited:
Hi
Been reading through all of the post,trying to figure out the best alternatives/replacements to the fets Q1-2-3.Seems there are some good or worse or even better fets outthere.
Now my old twisted mind is completly in a knot.
Could anyone of you dedicated aca-fans make a list of the fets you tried with good results?
I cant get the org.fets here in Denmark.

I really would haved liked to order a kit but unfortunally the price for a kit from US,send to Denmark is ridiculus,not blaming aca,its the shipment and on top 25% danish tax.The pcbs alone at 20$ will end up near to 60$.Think I find the old etching gear and get cracking,but I like to have all components before I start anything.

Jan

Old version. At #1005 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/215392-amp-camp-amp-aca-101.html#post3506783

The lasted version.:D

plywood and any heat-sink long 6" 3 ea.

It very hot:mad: (50-60c)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.