Amp Camp Amp - ACA

All wooded construction. Walnut front, 18mm ply sides, 5mm ply back panel. Ventilated metal top still to come. Will have a matching 180w hifimediy bass amp and B1.miniDSP pre amp soon

Volume control is inside as this will be a power amp for hi effeciency 109db/w/m horns and need some gain adjustment but wanted to keep the front clean.

heatsinks upwards causes no issues

still have the damn turn off thump :mad:

Very nice work !

I am about the start building this amp, do you still have your turn off thump ?

My speakers are full range and sensitive, I can`t stand turn off thump..

Thanks,
Eric

I ordered parts for this amp recently, and ordered this instead-
W21-R68JI TT Electronics/Welwyn | 985-1096-1-ND | DigiKey
(I ordered the same type for the 0.47 also, just to make it look good)
I can't imagine this part will work any different than the one recommended.

I also ordered J111's so i could keep everything on one order (note J111 has different pinout, gate is not middle pin).

I'm still building, using a mix of breadboard, wire, over sized cpu heatsink, and whatever else I have on hand besides the ordered parts from digikey- Index of /~henryvm/aca

Many thanks. I will order those. Your board/layout sure looks great ;).

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The standoffs are brass and are M3 (metric) They are the same as used in Lian Li computer cases. (Most other computer cases use #6 standoffs which won't work for the ACA chassis' or our separate heatsinks). Once the separate heatsinks are gone we won't stock more, we'll just stock the chassis, which incorporates different design heatsinks but drilled and tapped in the same pattern.

I contacted Spencer about sourcing Q4. Last parts question. Is there a source (digikey, mouser, etc.) for those standoffs (are they brass?) used to connect the PCB to the heatsinks available in the DIY store?

Last edited:
The standoffs are brass and are M3 (metric) They are the same as used in Lian Li computer cases. (Most other computer cases use #6 standoffs which won't work for the ACA chassis' or our separate heatsinks). Once the separate heatsinks are gone we won't stock more, we'll just stock the chassis, which incorporates drilled and tapped heatsinks.

Thank you for that information!

Will the new chassis accommodate the heatsinks that are in the parts store now?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
no, unfortunately they are not compatible, although both have tapped holes to mount the boards and MOSFETS

If you're going to order a chassis probably best to just make do with any heatsink temporarily. Easiest would be with holes drilled all the way through and each of the MOSFETS attached with a bolt (and insulator of course). The PCB's can be attached the same way to the sink or to something thin attached to the heatsink.

The chassis' are awesome IMHO and should be available within a month. .

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Alternate part for q4

...Can I use a j310? And what would I be looking at in the datasheets in order to work that out for myself next time? And would there be any change to the circuit to accommodate this part?

I'm looking at the datasheets for the j111, j310 and 2sk170, and trying to see what the similarities and differences are between the parts, but after a little bit of looking all I see are numbers that I don't understand, and I have no knowledge as to the critical parameters...

I'm going to be building a pair of these in conjunction with my partner. She's extremely tolerant of my hobby tendencies and I thought it would be a great project for us to do together, and that hopefully she'll enjoy the satisfaction of listening to something you built yourself (or potentially even get diy-hooked too!)

Joined 2012
Paid Member
...She's extremely tolerant of my hobby tendencies and I thought it would be a great project for us to do together, and that hopefully she'll enjoy the satisfaction of listening to something you built yourself (or potentially even get diy-hooked too!)

A diy-hooked wife too! But who will keep the checks and balances on "projects"? Who will make sure some money and time is spent on the "necessary" things? I can see it now...8 amps at various stages of completion...6 pairs of speakers, mostly done. Oh, and who will keep the dining room table cleared off so you will have a place to eat?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I built a Dynaco kit with my GF in college. It was fun and we didn't break up! And we listened to it for hours. I did the support stuff like cut wires to length and strip them. I ran into her a couple of years ago, and she never did any more audio stuff, but remembered the project as a good thing!

Maybe that's why the Amp Camp was something I wanted to do- I knew it was possible and rewarding if you are a newbie. You just have to have some help..

I'm going to be building a pair of these in conjunction with my partner. She's extremely tolerant of my hobby tendencies and I thought it would be a great project for us to do together, and that hopefully she'll enjoy the satisfaction of listening to something you built yourself (or potentially even get diy-hooked too!)

Last edited:
I tried a J310 and it worked. Distortion was 0.85% 1kHz at 1W which is slightly lower than I expect. Note that the pinout is different than the 2SK170. The critical test is if you can set the DC bias pot for 10V. If it won't go low enough, lower the value of R9 to 470 ohms.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@propitious - I already resemble your remark re unfinished amp projects and builds... But equally my partner has her own creative interests and I'd like to think i'm supportive of her in her endeavors also. Mind you, it might be easier for me as my partner is a beer writer in her spare time... :) I'm a lucky guy.

@variac - I hope the experience is a positive one. I plan on making sure there are no roadblocks between parts and having a finished product that can be plugged in and listened to and enjoyed, and I'm really looking forward to sharing the experience with the most important person in my life. And this seems a good point to say thanks! I showed her the MAKE mag photo links and a few other photo's in this thread as a way of introducing the idea, so in many ways I have yourself, Nelson, and the community at large to thank for making this an experience we could share. So, again, Thanks!

@loudthud thanks - the distortion numbers are good and the different pinout is noted. Thank you for the advice re R9, as well as all the contributions you've made in this thread - most helpful.

Anywho - I've ordered parts from a variety of sources, so once they're all here we'll organize a day and knock out an amp or two. I await the announcement of an amp camp chassis pricing with interest, as thats the next bit for me to sort out!

Another amp camp amp comes alive and sounds great!

I just have a question, it seems that one of the blocks gets hotter than the other one. They both share the same supply which gives out 19v / 5.27A, both built together piece by piece and have the a matching heat sink and tuned to 10v on drain.

I'd be happy if you have some pointers of what to look for. One is reasonably hot while the other one is significantly hotter, I can't put my finger on it (literally :)

2013-04-27 15.27.12.jpg

2013-04-27 15.27.20.jpg

Gideon