Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Are you sure about that? I didn’t read Idss as the maximum current the jfet would pass, because the servo loop could pull the gate connection above ground making it conduct more then Idss. Or is that wrong?

I still support the BL grade though.

I'm sure. The Toshiba data sheet specifies Idss at 10V. It will conduct slightly more, maybe 5%, at 15V and if the Gate-Source voltage goes slightly positive before gate conduction begins. There is also a "V" grade that should work if you can find them.

The operating point of Q4 depends on the threshold of Q1. I'm using an IRF640 which is supposed to use the same die as the IRFF240. I tried an IRF630 and the distortion was lower. I've found the threshold of IRF parts to be remarkably consistant, but Nelson has far more experience with them.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• ACA.png
    ACA.png
    238 KB · Views: 1,143
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That original Amp Camp chassis as in the photo above, stays very cool since it radiates from lots of thick extrusions in addition to having a quite large heatsink. NP had no hand in its design.

We supply smaller extrusions for the kits (215mm x 75 x 35) those work fine too, in temperate climates and if the amp isn't in an area that's enclosed in any way. My experience is that the micro-climate (is it under a low shelf above?) and actual climate (do you live in southern India? ) are the big determiners. A hot interior room temperature could easily double the amount of cooling needed.

Last edited:
macfixer and I are joining up to build on Tuesday, assuming no one else crashes into my car.........

I cant wait as I've just ordered Faital Pro HF144 1.4" CD drivers and I hope to use the ACA as their dedicated amp for about 750hz upwards

Will test on my Emkens on build day thou - 5w Class A on a 97dB/W/m full ranger should be fun ;)

James

On slightly more series note I was hoping to have some pre prep done ive got the back panel material sorted, 4mm ply left in the street by some builders and walnut kitchen top for the fronts to make two double mono blocks. The component leg bending tool arrived! a stepped pice of plastic block so will be able to see if it will be usefull. Hope to fit the posts and inputs tomorrow together with the switches will have to see what work turns up on Monday

Finally done

Ok got this finished at last. Couldn't trace the mains hum I was getting on one channel but after discovering it went away when the two mono blocs touched the way forward was obvious :rolleyes:
Apart from the kit and sinks from the store I spent £10 on aluminium angle from a hardware store and £10 for two pc power supplies on the bay uk.

The amp sounds great....great power, bass and massive detail. Probably loses just a little smoothness in the mids compared to my tube/valve gear but not by much. Amazing amp for the build cost. The amp is dead silent between tracks and the sinks get warm but still ok to touch after 30 mins. I'm driving 15 ohm speakers with it....anyone know if it needs optimising for this load compared to 8 ohm? I got some spare boards and will probably have a go at a version with a "proper" power supply at some point. Anyone got any thoughts on a power supply?
Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 1,337
Just an idea as I have 25-0/25-0 volts 160VA torroids (2 Nos); what if the input JFET is replaced with a BF862 cascoded with a 2SK170 to run the amp off 30-35 volts? Replace output Mosfets with IRFP264 (chosen for their higher transconductance) and double the bias current by halving the values of R1-R4.

What other component values need change? Thanks.

Just an idea as I have 25-0/25-0 volts 160VA torroids (2 Nos); what if the input JFET is replaced with a BF862 cascoded with a 2SK170 to run the amp off 30-35 volts? Replace output Mosfets with IRFP264 (chosen for their higher transconductance) and double the bias current by halving the values of R1-R4.

What other component values need change? Thanks.

Along with the higher transconductance comes higher input capacitance. I tried IRFP460s and the results were poor. It could be that R6 needs to be lower, I didn't try that. I tried running three Q4s in parallel with R9 at 220 ohms and the results didn't improve much. Q1 becomes very non-linear as the Drain voltage dips below the Gate voltage. Visible distortion at 1kHz. At that high a rail voltage, you will need gate protection zeners. I'm going the other way. Next I'm going to try IRF120s. Suggest you search for my posts in this thread.

Just waived goodbye to Macfixer after fun afternoon!!

Amps go together so easily! Really a great initiation! I completed mine up to the stage where I would mount the board to the heat sink and left it there as I have yet to finalise my chassis arrangements.

We completed one of Macfixers and let it warm up as per the build notes. Then a first listen via a pair of Minimus 7's to check all was well. Sound was big & full.

so onwards to my Emkens :eek::eek::eek::eek: absolutely massive, dense, fluid, sharp as a knife sound. Played a few tracks I'm familiar with and the hairs on the back of my head nearly lifted me off the floor!! This was a straight comparison to my amp that is soon to be replaced.

Cant wait to finish my amps and get it up and running. Will post pix once I've finished mine and chassis is built.

Only issue is a thump at turn off - all in all not bad for an afternoons work