Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Sorry, I only built one channel. give me a day or three.

I'd like to bring up another potential problem, ground. Many of the laptop supplys I looked at had the power line safety ground connected to the minus side of the output. One naked OEM 24V PCB supply didn't have that ground and the supply for my Toshiba only has a two wire line cord. What type supply is shipping with the kits?

yes , you can

paralleling - when you need Ampers

bridging - when you need Volts

Zen Mod and winslow. You have a Eureka. Parallel 2 ACAs [the kits c/o Variac] and bridge them with another pair of ACAs. This way you'll overcome the limitations we spoke of earlier:
  • Have 2 A idle per pair.
  • Have adequate power supplies
  • Have enough heat sink
  • No need to modify the original circuits.
  • Get 20 W output power into 8 Ohm. A parallel pair of ACAs will still give 5 W into 8 Ohms by comparison.

Zen Mod and winslow. You have a Eureka. Parallel 2 ACAs [the kits c/o Variac] and bridge them with another pair of ACAs. This way you'll overcome the limitations we spoke of earlier:
  • Have 2 A idle per pair.
  • Have adequate power supplies
  • Have enough heat sink
  • No need to modify the original circuits.
  • Get 20 W output power into 8 Ohm. A parallel pair of ACAs will still give 5 W into 8 Ohms by comparison.

winslow: Most probably you'll ask; how does one pair up two ACAs? The attached file [bridgeACA3.pdf] shows a proposed diagram which [I hope] Pass, Zen Mod, Loudthud, and janneman [plus others] will frisk it and give us their blessing [with modifications where needed] for its feasibilty.
  • I show an ACA#1 upper, and an ACA#2 upper.
  • I am using the numbering protocol of the components used in the published schematic of ACA by Mr. Pass.
  • The identical diagram applies for the partner pair in the bridge configuration [ not shown]. Same discussion applies fully.
  • I show the passive approach to generate the out of phase input signals with the JENSEN transformer.
  • An allowance for the approach by janneman is shown in ACA#1; at the drain of the front end FET [2SK170].
  • The output of the upper ACAs are joined at their existing output [in kit].
  • ACA#1 is completely assembled as recommended in the article by Mr. Pass.
  • ACA#2 is partially assembled. Leave out R11, C3, R12, R10, VR1, the front end FET [2SK170] and R9.
  • Connect a shielded signal line from the source of 2SK170 [junction R9 and R6] of ACA#1 to R6 in ACA#2. Hopefully, Q1 [output MOSFET] in both ACAs are matched to some extent so as to not disturb centering each ACAs output to ~10 VDC with VR1.
  • Repeat the above for the partner pair of the bridge.

Attachments

• bridgeACA3.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 232
Not to sidetrack this...

I finished my pair Monday and they have been playing since then. They sound very nice, lots of detail and very musical to my poor old ears. Hooked up to some NHT Super Ones on one side and PassDIY B-1 on the other, playing through my PC's digital out to a CAL Sigma DAC.
Thanks to Nelson ans Variac and everyone else that made these little wonders so easily attainable!!

My ACA kit arrived yesterday!
I needed to celebrate the event... so i created the last fashion in diy themed T-shirt...
That t-shirt can keep you warm while soldering or be used as reminder to the ACA circuit schematics.... :)

Thank you diyaudio!

Attachments

• DSCN0089.gif
    DSCN0089.gif
    379.6 KB · Views: 1,064
May I suggest all part numbers etc on the diagram on the front, and the parts list, minus the suppliers, on the back?

OT - I saw somewhere 'The First Watt Is The Deepest' not sure where but it would make a cool T in Papa's curvy font

Last edited:
That is cool. I may build it "stock" at first just to see how I like it. It's going in the car on a set of compression drivers. The last amp I built was a mini-Aleph and it was ok...just a ton of noise on the SMPS that I am using from a donor chassis. The fact this kit was designed for a SMPS really got me excited.

Maybe I can get rid of the negative feedback?

:) i like the fact the t-shirt was liked! :)

I can supply some T-shirts to team who created the camp amp, the event and the kit as my small contribution to diyaudio. (if they like the t-shirt)
aAnd i can give someone the embroidery file used if there is intrest because i don't think is economically wise to ship a box of t-shirt from EU to USA..

Kikko - cudos for the idea!!!

Is there no end to our talents? We are masters of solid state, valves, chip amps, class D, power supplies, headphone amps, turnatables,
tonearms, phono stages, preamps, passive preamps, crossovers, CD players, solid state players, Dacs, digital crossovers, equalisers, music servers,
multiway, fullrange, subwoofers, planars.........AND EMBROIDERY!!! :D:D

Lets Knit a Death Star!!! ;) :D :p ;)

Kikko - cudos for the idea!!!

Is there no end to our talents? We are masters of solid state, valves, chip amps, class D, power supplies, headphone amps, turnatables,
tonearms, phono stages, preamps, passive preamps, crossovers, CD players, solid state players, Dacs, digital crossovers, equalisers, music servers,
multiway, fullrange, subwoofers, planars.........AND EMBROIDERY!!! :D:D

Strangely, I feel left out of that list. Though I aspire to that level with those talents, I am still working on de-soldering properly :confused:. Just reading all the posts, you guys here in this forum are monsters of Class A.

dont feel left out!!! I still burn myself sometimes ;) If I'm having a stoo'pid day I'll solder one or two things and leave it for a while.

BTW That list is just a quick run through of the various forums here on the site. Definitely not personal a skill list - I wish....

But together!!!! Together, the force is strong in us!!! (and theres always someone who will know a bloke who knows)

On the Pass forum there are giants walking among us and sometimes 'The Creator' himself drops in. I'm more of a 'muppet' of class A :clown:

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One side the schematic I think , the other side a board outline with the parts outlines shown- like the board silkscreen layer, Then the list of parts underneath.

May I suggest all part numbers etc on the diagram on the front, and the parts list, minus the suppliers, on the back?

OT - I saw somewhere 'The First Watt Is The Deepest' not sure where but it would make a cool T in Papa's curvy font

:)