Amp Camp Amp - ACA

!!!!!!Brilliant Value!!!!!!

I went for the heatsinks as I don't have any way of successfully drilling and tapping them that costs less that getting them as part of the kit.

For anyone thinking of ordering from the UK:- 2 heatsinks & the amp kits (no power supply due to voltage difference) and the cheaper/slower postage option costs about £111

Thanks Nelson et al for this kick start, training wheel entry to amp building, and more importantly, for me at least, CLASS A :D

Wow. I thought shipping to Australia was a bit rich @US$54... Guess i got the good end of that deal.

I could source heat sinks cheaper locally, but wanted to support the diyAudio store and Variac's efforts.

@JRKO. Typical laptop supply (i assume this applies here) will operate from 110-240VAC, you just need to source a 'clover leaf' mains cable to suit your mains outlets.

Wow. I thought shipping to Australia was a bit rich @US$54... Guess i got the good end of that deal.

I could source heat sinks cheaper locally, but wanted to support the diyAudio store and Variac's efforts.

@JRKO. Typical laptop supply (i assume this applies here) will operate from 110-240VAC, you just need to source a 'clover leaf' mains cable to suit your mains outlets.

As usual its more expensive in the UK :rolleyes: (just to clarify £111 for kit, sinks & postage)

As for the power supply ignorance - thats why I'm building this amp!! I'm a complete fool when it come to the electrical side of things :snail: :scratch1: :headbash: At least the supplies are very cheap here.

From the picture it looks like the one on sale outputs up to 4.7 amps?

As usual its more expensive in the UK :rolleyes: (just to clarify £111 for kit, sinks & postage)

As for the power supply ignorance - thats why I'm building this amp!! I'm a complete fool when it come to the electrical side of things :snail: :scratch1: :headbash: At least the supplies are very cheap here.

From the picture it looks like the one on sale outputs up to 4.7 amps?

I see. I thought was pretty good value for the whole kit too.

I recall in either the article or one of the Amp Camp write-ups (probably both, but I'm too lazy right now to confirm) that 19v @2A was mentioned as a base requirement for the psu - but as usual here - more is probably better.

I saw several suitable units on the bay of e, and your local computer surplus store or fair/market would no doubt be a good place to look too.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The PSU we offer is labeled as 19v @ 4.7 A so it can run 2 channels if you have them in one chassis, but the monoblock idea seems to appeal to people. Why not?

It does work up to 240v but you'd need a different power cord, or to at least cut the wall plug off and replace. We figured that it's probably more economical to get one off eBay in your home country, which is why we offer them separately, but the jack issue has to be considered also. As with the heatsinks, if you just order the whole package, it screws together...

I'm looking forward to seeing the cookie tins, cigar boxes, Lego creations, etc. that people use if they want to enclose the things.

We'll have a nice chassis in a couple of months of course..

Mark

The article's here..
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/214808-amp-camp-amp-1-a.html

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I won't allow him to change the circuit boards! We have 300 in stock!!!
But someday I'm thinking of adding a "play area" to the sides of the board design with perfboard holes to add things like crossovers, big caps etc. Or maybe a second Board with holes only, but with our mounting points. So we should have a stock design ,well documented, that works and works well. Then variations that are also well documented.

So sure, come up with variations, but make sure that they can be done with the same basic board. Of course you guys are uncontrollable so why do I bother saying this! ;)

Last edited:
@JRKO

Will be very interested in your impressions of your ACA once you get it running with your Emkens... I've been eyeing off some Onken clones, but would rather build my own - so that project is more that a little interesting to me.

Got a tracking number yesterday - getting all excited to build these little beasties... can hardly wait.

I didn't fully realise that the complete package was so reasonably priced.
My 4 wheeled tin box has its annual road worthy-ness test this month, so maybe the middle / end of next month for me......... maybe earlier if it passes.......if there's any kits left!
Fingers crossed