Amp Camp Amp - ACA

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I hope they're ruined and amp addicts forever!

I ordered all the missing parts a while ago, (more power switches, some resistors, stand-offs, bolts for the MOSFETS, more grease, the boxes to pack them to keep them safe, and the anti-stat envelopes for the MOSFETS ) Should arrive in the next 3 days. Then mail them off to the store..

Here's the youngest Amp Camper. This will kill ZM..That's the C1 cap she's putting in the board..
I mean how cute is that? And what a great Dad!

Attachments

• Helper.jpg
    Helper.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,508
Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I tried to read all this thread and I didn't understand everything. Well, I'm very new in this but I really like to try to build this amp.
And I still didn't found answers to my simple questions.

So here there are:
I'm in Belgium and I cannot easily found the same resistors.
- So I believe 0.5W instead 0.4W is ok, Right?
- Can I use 330K and 68K instead 332K et 68.1K? If not, I will have to modify a bit the pcb board to place 330+1+1K and 68+0.1K.

Then, I believe the part list from "Amp Camp Amp #1" is for only one module
So to make it stereo, I have to double it. Right?
Same thing about power? 2x 19V 2A or can I use a 19V 4,7A from a laptop for both?

Well, I realize it is probably obvious for most but, since it's an amp for beginner, it could be nice to have just a bit more details or some more steps to build it on a few pages.
Reading all this thread could be a bit scary and overwhelming :p

Anyway, thank you all, thank you Mr Pass.
This project is really great to begin with :)

I am thinking buying maybe three or four pairs of these bad boys because they look and sound like they are a great step towards infecting the ears and minds of a few of my friends who are always wondering why I even own a soldering iron and talk about solid state class A and KT88 something or another. It could be a great gift for Christmas.

Only one question though... For those without a pre-amp and just having a plain old source (CD or tuner) would there be an attenuator or volume pot option available?

Hi everybody,

I tried to read all this thread and I didn't understand everything. Well, I'm very new in this but I really like to try to build this amp.
And I still didn't found answers to my simple questions.

So here there are:
I'm in Belgium and I cannot easily found the same resistors.
- So I believe 0.5W instead 0.4W is ok, Right?
- Can I use 330K and 68K instead 332K et 68.1K? If not, I will have to modify a bit the pcb board to place 330+1+1K and 68+0.1K.

Then, I believe the part list from "Amp Camp Amp #1" is for only one module
So to make it stereo, I have to double it. Right?
Same thing about power? 2x 19V 2A or can I use a 19V 4,7A from a laptop for both?

Anyway, thank you all, thank you Mr Pass.
This project is really great to begin with :)
The resistor values you have are fine.
You could use one beefy powersupply to run 2 channels but I like the idea of dual mono with separate supplies.
If you can wait there will be a kit available with all the necessary parts

Last edited:
Connected to the right speakers, this project is good enough to begin and finish with, although I guarantee once you have finished it you will probably want to build all of the amps :D

Yes, thank you Melon Head,
I'm sure of it :)
For now, I have just played with Led then with capacitive sensing behavior with arduino, then doing my own pcb board with vinager/H2O2/salt
and now i'm already looking for an amp so i could say that electronics grow easily in me :p

Just one question to rebound on what overtheairbroadcast said.
This amp, is it a pre-amp or power amp, i'm not sure how to call it.
So do we need another amp where to plug our player or can we just plug computer, mp3/cd player, line out with a 3,5 jack directly in it?

Ho, and I remember to have seen something about a formula to calculate how much heat it is produced. But I don't remember where...
I'd like to reuse some old CPU radiator or some Northbridge heatsink but how to know if it will be enough to sink the heat.
I'm sure a CPU or Northbridge could produce a lot of heat so it's probably fine but... is it, really?

Thank you all ;)

This amp, is it a pre-amp or power amp, i'm not sure how to call it.
So do we need another amp where to plug our player or can we just plug computer, mp3/cd player, line out with a 3,5 jack directly in it?

I'd like to reuse some old CPU radiator or some Northbridge heatsink but how to know if it will be enough to sink the heat.
I'm sure a CPU or Northbridge could produce a lot of heat so it's probably fine but... is it, really?

Thank you all ;)

This is essentially a power amp, so you should connect sources to it that have their own volume control (like, iPods qualify, non-portable CD-players mostly don't). Otherwise, you need a preamp, or you add a logarithmic potentiometer to the input of the amp (like I did) for volume control.

I think the amp dissipates roughly 20 watts per channel - so, compare that with the dissipation that the device originally connected to your heat sink had, and you know if you're good. Only ensure that you really can tie the two transistors thermally tightly but isolated to the heat sink - that might be tricky for CPU coolers and the like...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think that a CPU cooler should work fine, if the fan is still functional. Without the fan, no. Northbridge?, I don't think so.

You can just plug computer, mp3/cd player, line out directly in it. The amp inputs are 2 RCA jacks- the standard audio connection, but there are cords which have a 3.5mm jack on one end and the RCA's on the other, at stores everywhere.

.25w resistors are fine as well as .5w

As rollingtube points out, a potentiometer can be wired in to control the volume if your source doesn't have a volume control. When the time comes I'm sure someone here will post a link. Maybe a 10k 2 ch log pot? If it's a 2 ch pot you'll have to have in in one chassis and have a wire connection to the other chassis. Or a small 3rd box for it. If 2 amps are in one chassis, then it's easy to connect the pot to both amp channels, and easy to use one power supply. A single pot can be used in each monoblock chassis which also give you control over balance, but means you have to fiddle with 2 knobs to raise the volume. The kids will love them, more so if they help build them. My 8yr old nephew is so proud his amps ar being used in the family's second system in the kitchen..

a 4+ amp PSU will power 2 channels just fine, and is a good way to keep costs down, but it's appealing to have separate supplies as then the amps are truly monoblocks and the channels can't influence each other in any way. With EXTERNAL power supplies I might add! that's pretty cool too!

The list of parts in the Amp Camp Amp paper is for one channel.