Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2013, 01:33 AM   #911
BertW is offline BertW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Rough estimate cost for 2 ACA heatsinks??
Old 26th April 2013, 02:50 AM   #912
diyAudio Member

If you purchase through the diyaudio store, then $39 USD

Amp Camp Kit - Kits
Old 26th April 2013, 04:20 AM   #913
BertW is offline BertW  Canada
diyAudio Member

sorry brain fart, meant rough estimated cost for the new ACA chassis
Old 26th April 2013, 07:46 AM   #914
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertW View Post
sorry brain fart, meant rough estimated cost for the new ACA chassis
We're hopefully getting final pricing today.
Old 26th April 2013, 08:36 AM   #915
diyAudio Member

Default Alternate part for q4

...Can I use a j310? And what would I be looking at in the datasheets in order to work that out for myself next time? And would there be any change to the circuit to accommodate this part?

I'm looking at the datasheets for the j111, j310 and 2sk170, and trying to see what the similarities and differences are between the parts, but after a little bit of looking all I see are numbers that I don't understand, and I have no knowledge as to the critical parameters...

I'm going to be building a pair of these in conjunction with my partner. She's extremely tolerant of my hobby tendencies and I thought it would be a great project for us to do together, and that hopefully she'll enjoy the satisfaction of listening to something you built yourself (or potentially even get diy-hooked too!)
Old 26th April 2013, 05:19 PM   #916
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringv View Post
...She's extremely tolerant of my hobby tendencies and I thought it would be a great project for us to do together, and that hopefully she'll enjoy the satisfaction of listening to something you built yourself (or potentially even get diy-hooked too!)
A diy-hooked wife too! But who will keep the checks and balances on "projects"? Who will make sure some money and time is spent on the "necessary" things? I can see it now...8 amps at various stages of completion...6 pairs of speakers, mostly done. Oh, and who will keep the dining room table cleared off so you will have a place to eat?
Old 26th April 2013, 07:19 PM   #917
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I built a Dynaco kit with my GF in college. It was fun and we didn't break up! And we listened to it for hours. I did the support stuff like cut wires to length and strip them. I ran into her a couple of years ago, and she never did any more audio stuff, but remembered the project as a good thing!

Maybe that's why the Amp Camp was something I wanted to do- I knew it was possible and rewarding if you are a newbie. You just have to have some help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringv View Post
I'm going to be building a pair of these in conjunction with my partner. She's extremely tolerant of my hobby tendencies and I thought it would be a great project for us to do together, and that hopefully she'll enjoy the satisfaction of listening to something you built yourself (or potentially even get diy-hooked too!)

Last edited by Variac; 28th April 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 26th April 2013, 08:54 PM   #918
diyAudio Member

I tried a J310 and it worked. Distortion was 0.85% 1kHz at 1W which is slightly lower than I expect. Note that the pinout is different than the 2SK170. The critical test is if you can set the DC bias pot for 10V. If it won't go low enough, lower the value of R9 to 470 ohms.
Old 27th April 2013, 08:28 AM   #919
diyAudio Member

@propitious - I already resemble your remark re unfinished amp projects and builds... But equally my partner has her own creative interests and I'd like to think i'm supportive of her in her endeavors also. Mind you, it might be easier for me as my partner is a beer writer in her spare time... I'm a lucky guy.

@variac - I hope the experience is a positive one. I plan on making sure there are no roadblocks between parts and having a finished product that can be plugged in and listened to and enjoyed, and I'm really looking forward to sharing the experience with the most important person in my life. And this seems a good point to say thanks! I showed her the MAKE mag photo links and a few other photo's in this thread as a way of introducing the idea, so in many ways I have yourself, Nelson, and the community at large to thank for making this an experience we could share. So, again, Thanks!

@loudthud thanks - the distortion numbers are good and the different pinout is noted. Thank you for the advice re R9, as well as all the contributions you've made in this thread - most helpful.

Anywho - I've ordered parts from a variety of sources, so once they're all here we'll organize a day and knock out an amp or two. I await the announcement of an amp camp chassis pricing with interest, as thats the next bit for me to sort out!
Old 28th April 2013, 06:33 AM   #920
gideon is offline gideon  Israel
diyAudio Member

Another amp camp amp comes alive and sounds great!

I just have a question, it seems that one of the blocks gets hotter than the other one. They both share the same supply which gives out 19v / 5.27A, both built together piece by piece and have the a matching heat sink and tuned to 10v on drain.

I'd be happy if you have some pointers of what to look for. One is reasonably hot while the other one is significantly hotter, I can't put my finger on it (literally

2013-04-27 15.27.12.jpg

2013-04-27 15.27.20.jpg

Gideon

Hide this!Advertise here!