Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 83 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2013, 05:10 AM   #821
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I've seen a lot stupider and crazier
Old 18th March 2013, 05:34 AM   #822
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want to see crazy, check out my dead bug style foam core amp here: TPA3118D2
Old 18th March 2013, 10:37 AM   #823
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm investigating several liquid cooling approaches but with closed systems that isolate for the "splash" factor.

The first one is very compact and probably best suited for the ACA. It is the concept that is behind my interested in the use of a single toroid to power the ACAs. Could lead to a nice cube design for a desktop.

BLAT 1

The second is for larger amps but does require the purchase of some HS material. Heatsinks USA is here in Michigan and the cost was ~ $30. It has been modified to an over/under format and a build thread should be posted by the end of the week. (Congo5 - couldn't do the phone setup cause I had to steal the toroid for this one. I'll get er done)

BLAT 2

The third piece is a vertical side-by-side format with heavier aluminum but at a size between the first two. No pictures yet.

And finally a monster for the house heater amps that uses the heater core from a Ford Mustang and a 150 mm fan It will be at the base of a "tree" format.

But back to the ACA - the small heat exchangers in the first design (~ $10 from eBay) are just about a perfect size and efficiencyfor these little gems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130318_062543.jpg (257.0 KB, 486 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 18th March 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:03 AM   #824
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

F5 power amplifier
Old 18th March 2013, 03:36 PM   #825
diyAudio Member

I was thinking that if I collect the evaporated water and channel it up to a coil and let that condense and drip back down, I would have a closed system. It would look something like a whiskey distiller but the output goes back into the liquid via a tube under the liquid surface. The evaporated water comes from a larger surface area so vapor pressure forces it up to the condensor surface at the top. This then becomes a heat pipe - some vacuum will have to be applied to make this work as an optimal system. But a homemade heat pipe might be interesting. Passive no pumps, no liquid to spill or refill...
Old 18th March 2013, 03:56 PM   #826
diyAudio Member

Have you thought about any if the liquid cooled solutions for overclocked PCs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I'm investigating several liquid cooling approaches but with closed systems that isolate for the "splash" factor.

The first one is very compact and probably best suited for the ACA. It is the concept that is behind my interested in the use of a single toroid to power the ACAs. Could lead to a nice cube design for a desktop.

BLAT 1

The second is for larger amps but does require the purchase of some HS material. Heatsinks USA is here in Michigan and the cost was ~ $30. It has been modified to an over/under format and a build thread should be posted by the end of the week. (Congo5 - couldn't do the phone setup cause I had to steal the toroid for this one. I'll get er done)

BLAT 2

The third piece is a vertical side-by-side format with heavier aluminum but at a size between the first two. No pictures yet.

And finally a monster for the house heater amps that uses the heater core from a Ford Mustang and a 150 mm fan It will be at the base of a "tree" format.

But back to the ACA - the small heat exchangers in the first design (~ $10 from eBay) are just about a perfect size and efficiencyfor these little gems.
Old 18th March 2013, 04:34 PM   #827
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

Default amp camp this summer in Tahoe?

Hi Folks,
I missed last summer's amp camp in Tahoe and am hoping there'll another this summer....any plans?
Regards,
Mario
Old 18th March 2013, 05:09 PM   #828
diyAudio Member

Fastbike1 - Those are essentially the pieces I'm using. A lot of stuff from the now defunct Danger Den and a few new parts from FrozenCPU. Trying to use more DIY and local hardware store items for builder convience and cost.

xrk, you are singing my song. I retired form a power company. You are describing the loop that turns the light on almost to the letter. Even though all the heat created by burning coal, oil or nuclear reaction makes lots of super-heated steam, the large condenser at the exhaust side of the turbine creates a vacuum that actually pulls the steam through the turbine blades - as opposed to the jet turbine principle. (Ninety percent of the pictures/videos showing what is described as pollution from power plants is actually of harmless steam from water/cooling towers in the vacuum creation - external to the heat source loop.)

There are two externals that would probably prevent the concept for use with amps. The first is a heat source to take the steam (vapor) to a high deferential quickly. Even if the heat from the amp was hot enough to evaporate liquid, the system itself will dissipate a percentage of the heat, eventually destroying the heat volume and vacuum differentials. In spite of millions invested in insulation the power companies can't establish the "perpetual motion machine" effect and thus an external heat source is needed. If you turn this on its head for cooling - an external heat subtraction factor needs to be introduced. Passive heat exchangers would help but then we are back to finned heat sink material or an electro-mechanical device. The best semi-passive system I have seen showed up on a Pass thread, but again may not be as practical as a small self-contained PC type system. Once filled and sealed these system only need occasional fluid replacement for purity factors only. I have had one that held its own for over two years.

I think your passive cooling is a possibility but if constructed, would probably be measured in feet not inches.

Last edited by bcmbob; 18th March 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 18th March 2013, 05:43 PM   #829
diyAudio Member

Bob,
We are thinking alike because I was once upon a time, trained in themodynamics. What I meant by vacuum was not that the flow needs to create a vacuum but that a heat pipe typically operates not at ambient pressure internally, but a mild sub-atmospheric vacuum to balance the evaporation and the condensation rates of water. It can be made very compact - and you have probably seen the heat pipe technology used with PC CPU coolers. If you go that route, it can be made a lot more compact than plain slab of aluminum and fins. I think you can get them for $20 with a fan. I think they are rated to handle about 130 watts - but has benefit of a fan. It may be able to handle lower power with natural convection only.

For example: Amazon.com: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 - CPU Cooler with 3 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-910-HTX3-G1): Electronics

Click the image to open in full size.

I am just thinking of making my own large scale heat pipe. I have done it before with copper tubing filled with copper dish scrubber pads (for wicking), distilled water, evacuated to about 15 torr pressure and sealed with solder pinch tube.

Basically, the low pressure allows the water to boil at a lower temp than 100 C - say 50 C or whatever the boiling point you set it at for the pressure. The water vapor boils off goes to the top where it condenses and by capillary action, is wicked back to the bottom where the heat to start over again. Heat pipes have the highest power removal density per cross sectional area of any heat transfer method - better conductivity than a solid gold bar of same cross section.

I think that circulating water and drilled out aluminum heat sink blocks work very well and I have done that before too. Very effective and easy.

Regards,
X

Last edited by xrk971; 18th March 2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 18th March 2013, 07:14 PM   #830
diyAudio Member

Sounds really interesting and potentially the best solution, specially if you can pull it off without a fan or with a small assist from something in the 40 mm size. I hope you follow through and post the development process.

Last edited by bcmbob; 18th March 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!