Amp Camp Amp - ACA - Page 79 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 01:39 PM   #781
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegranger View Post
Hmmm.....wonder if these great little amps could sound any better with a BableFish in one's ear?"???
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:37 AM   #782
zany is offline zany  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just a dumb question from a noob....

finalising my amp camp in a single chassis. Do the power jacks need to be mounted onto the metal of the rear panel to be a part of ground, or can I mount them isolated from the chassis?

will it make any difference?

thanks for any advice.
Old 8th March 2013, 03:10 PM   #783
diyAudio Member

This is my build of the ACA #1 ( see images attached).

Well: the ACA #1 is able to reproduce music (playing Diana Krall currently), but cannot compare to a well_designed ClassA/B Amplifier
(like the SYMASYM, for example) - in my ears.

I am missing "lust for life", emotion, dynamics, "deep black bass", but I will keep it, anyway, because its case fits very well on my desktop.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

P.S.: I am operating the ACA #1 from a DELL PA10 19.5VDC /4.5A LAPTOP PSU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACA#1 0307.jpg (324.9 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg aca#1 147.jpg (249.5 KB, 501 views)

Last edited by Rudi_Ratlos; 8th March 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 8th March 2013, 03:38 PM   #784
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi_Ratlos View Post
I am missing "lust for life", emotion, dynamics, "deep black bass"
Thats what class A 'should' give you. What are your speakers?

It made a pair of minimus 7's sound huge for me....

Nice build btw!

Last edited by JRKO; 8th March 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 8th March 2013, 03:56 PM   #785
diyAudio Member

My desktop - speakers are "DIYed" - what else(?!).

Consisting of TangBand W4-657SA broad-band in a 4 ltrs' case , supported by DAYTON ND-02FA tweeters.

Best regards - Rudi
Old 8th March 2013, 04:00 PM   #786
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
What else indeed!

Whats the specs? 4/8ohms? & ??d/w/m?
Old 8th March 2013, 06:28 PM   #787
diyAudio Member

Default Hi, I suffered the same...

Hi,

When I finished tha ACA, I tried it with a Rega RS1 and with a Monitor Audio Silver RX1 and suffered the same symptoms as you. I asked here in the forum and some one told me that those speakers where not suitable for this amp ( 5 Watts ) although it was class A. Then I tried a full range speaker based on the Fostex FE83En and the sound was awesome but lacking a little of bass due to the nature of this speaker. Already I am using a full range based on markaudio CHR-70 with better bass and better dynamics. I feel really happy with this little amp. Right now I am building a F5 amp but I think I have gone overboard and really not need the F5... But still. This is how this hobby behave....

I have ready a traditional power supply to try if the amp improves over the SMPS brick supplied as standard, but I have to find some time to implement it inside the case. Too many projects open at the same time...

Best regards,

Jorge
Old 8th March 2013, 06:29 PM   #788
Congo5 is offline Congo5  United States
diyAudio Member

Rudi;
I used your layout, thank you for that.

Am using the amp for headphones and it is way better than the other amps that I have tried...
pretty much the opposite of what you described.......???

Although I can only compare it to what I have... Cmoy, A47, O2, Sony & Marantz receivers and an F5...
The F5 is overkill but great, don't like the rest much for phones.
will have to try speakers some time.....
Old 8th March 2013, 07:35 PM   #789
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

The 200 VA transformer is now installed on my build. Thought it might be a bit smaller as a 15 V but I guess 200 means BIG. The SPL is not noticeably higher than either the external pods or the 25 VA toroid.

What has really impressed me is improvement in the 3D aura produced. It was totally unexpected and nothing has changed but the size of the transformer. There is still not a lot of depth behind the speakers, but the mids and lows completely surround/engulf the listener. I tried several selections and the improvement is consistent. Maybe on of the gurus could add some light here. I suspect the low, if not non-existent distortion is allowing those little sound wave guys to bounce around the room totally unencumbered.

For SPL, I have previously asked about using a pre with the ACA but didn't get much feedback. As a nubee discrete builder my concern it pushing too far, too fast and thereby violating some temperature factor/limit.

I intend to reconfigure what I have for use with earphones primarily because of the total cleanliness of the output. With the over-sized transformer the possibility of adding two more ACAs and bi-amping also comes to mind. Everything is there at great quality - just not a lot of it.

or.....

(from zrk971 over on the Foam Core Board thread ).... "Bigger fish ........ using Lowes 1 in thick isocyanurate foam sheathing! Build a 10 Hz 110 dB at 1 watt monster." "

P.S. I'm starting to believe the whole ACA thing is a devious conspiracy by Nelson Pass, as I too have ordered a set of F5 boards from the diyAudio store. What was that thing about the Pied Piper????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130308_144602.jpg (233.9 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg 20130308_144701.jpg (163.8 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg 20130308_145332.jpg (151.5 KB, 428 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 8th March 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 8th March 2013, 10:58 PM   #790
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Oh absolutely- he told me so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
P.S. I'm starting to believe the whole ACA thing is a devious conspiracy by Nelson Pass, as I too have ordered a set of F5 boards from the diyAudio store. What was that thing about the Pied Piper????

Hide this!Advertise here!