IMG_0311.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 957
Nice pics...I have the parts and pcb and not sure if I should purchase the chassis and complete this build or just go with an F4 or BA....I bought the parts kit because its simple to build but know that I am considering not pursuing this and and not putting a folded horn speaker into service I need an amp powerful enough to drive my Magnepan 1.6

6l6 build guides have encouraged me to go that route. btw 6L6 how far are you with your BA guide? :)

I see you used the larger washers for the transistors, although the build thread has the smaller ones. I was wondering what the larger ones could be used for :). I'm drilling out the speaker binding post holes for banana jacks. I'm not crazy about the DC jacks, either. Have some better ones left over from a PS project. More drilling....

Nice job!

Mike

Hi, does anybody know what the Digikey partnumber is for the red rockerswitches for the ACA chassis?
Or the manufacturer and model?
My chassis arrived in Holland, I can pick them up tomorrow:D:spin:

One of my switches shorted out (always on). Trying to get a part number from DIY store. Taking forever. Checking Ebay for similar switches to fit the 16 mm hole in the front. Will let you know if I get an answer or find a switch that fits.

Mike

Can anyone give me an idea of the sound quality from these little amp's?

I expect the high and midrange will be very open but can they produce a reasonably tight bass respose, or is it more like a small valve amp in that it's there but a bit loose?

I am becoming increasingly interested in building complete kit's as I live in a place time seems to have forgot when it comes to postal delivery (among other things) ordering components from different suppliers is a drag, something always seems to go missing in the post nowadays leaving me with 80 - 90% of a project lying around. At least if a complete kit actually turns up I can get on with it and hopefully even complete it (if I don't screw up anywhere).

These are great little amps, though to sound their best, need a relatively easy load to drive - they are only 5w. When driving a pair of Mark Audio drivers (full range, 8 ohms, small 3-3.5" cone), they sound GREAT. Driving a pair of Tony Gee's HATT speakers (2-way book shelf) they sound GREAT. Midrange and treble are very nice. Bass is well balanced with mid and treble, though some have compared the ACA to the F5 and find the F5 is more robust in the Bass and lower midrange (no surprise, it has more output devices and a higher PS rails and higher bias point).

Driving my great big Avro speakers (3-way, 5-driver, 4-ohm) not so great... these speakers need a heavier amp.

Last edited:
Hmm, it does sound interesting, I hardly ever use more than a few watts per channel anyway. My speakers are Rega R3's (6-ohm/89db) they have no crossover and I know they are very loud with only a few watts. Wonder how much insured shipping to the uk costs, need to save up some cash I think.