Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We'll see :) They are currently on the wrong side of the planet, but we're shipping this batch in bulk by air to apologize for taking so long, and they still have to get through customs and loaded in to fulfillment center in LA, at which point they can then "ship" to you. So fingers crossed :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
And a completed unit

In a very satisfying couple of days, the Amp Camp Amp was built by my partner (with a little help from myself) and is now playing beautifully.

I was fortunate to watch the lady of my life sand, solder, brush finish aluminium and, most importantly, smile when she heard it play. It's been a fun and rewarding experience for us both and I loved being able to share this experience with her.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1060482.JPG
    P1060482.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 968
  • P1060485.JPG
    P1060485.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 938
  • P1060489.JPG
    P1060489.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 939
Amp Camp Decision

I'm about to pre-order the Amp Camp full kit. Just two questions. I'd like a volume control; some kind of simple preamp or perhaps an in-line volume control like the kind you can put between MP3 source and headphones.
Also I'd appreciate any input on compatible speakers. Looking to spend around $300 to $500 for speakers.
Comment, suggestions?

Whats people think compared to F5, Aleph-Mini. and so on

I have only built the ACA and F5, but they sound very similar to me. A very clean,relaxed and stable presentation. The F5 sounds a bit more full with the ability to output a measure more of that character. Both are inviting and easy to listen to. Have never heard an Aleph of any size. :2c:

Last edited:
I agree with you bcmbob

I have only built the ACA and F5, but they both sound similar to me. A very clean,relaxed and stable presentation. The F5 sounds a bit more full with the ability to output a measure more of that character. Have never listened to an Aleph of any size. :2c:

Hi friends,

If I knew what I know now, I shouldn´t have built the F5 and stay with the ACA. I feel it is the same for me. I expected a more powerful sound but it is practically the same. The output stage of the F5 is made with the same mosfets as the ACA so the increased power comes from higher voltage power supply and higher bias ( sorry if I am in error, my knowledge of electronics is limited so I am guessing).But the sonic character is mainly the same in both amps.

Thanks very much to Mr. Pass for sharing his Know-How.

Regards,

Jorge:D

And the new diyAudio offering is marvellous!!

I built the ACA in a chasis from modushop, but I had to wait for the kit from USA of the amp and a little more for the case from Italy. If I had the choice then, I would have ordered the full monty from the diyAudio store and the solution is more pleasing looking and easier to built because you do not need to make any holes whatsoever. The looks are very pro and the red one is tempting me!!!

Regards,

Jorge

Volume control and speakers

So those of you who have built and use the ACA, what speakers work well and how to you do a volume control?

Hi,

As volume control I am using a bottlehead quickie preamp. Cheap, easy to build and great sound. Two inputs and batt operated. Quiet. Good gain to feed the ACA or the F5. I am also building a hotrroeded DCB1 buffer just for fun and try.

As for speakers, I used several of them, but the best option was a PMC DB1i. As a cheaper option, a full range DIY speaker based on a markaudio CHR-70 driver in a bass reflex port enclosure.

Regards,

Jorge

Thanks for all the input. I am looking at the Overnight Sensations and it looks like it would be fun to do this project. I also got some feedback from John and JDS labs and he says my little Altoids encased cMoy headphone amp would work well as a pre and volume control.
I like the idea of Bottlehead, but by the time I'm finished it would be $140 plus any upgrades. Anyway, I'm having fun shopping and browsing.