Amp Camp Amp - ACA

I already have the second aca but till now drove in parallel. The question was if i better stay parallel or move to bridged.you responded i better stay parallell! Thanxs

I think you don’t risk anything by trying (except either havin a moment of dissatisfaction or a bright and happy future)

to second myleftear, try it if you have everything on hand. At worse, you find out you don't like it. Bass might be underdamped but might be your thing.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Will try

Thank you both! If the unique risk is the amp not sounding that great i think will give it a try. I read a post of 6l6 indicating that majority of time aca sounds better bridged. When i finished the two Monos, after the smoke test,i plugged each one singularly in stereo to check they worked. Just after i moved to mono parallel and i was surprised the volume was similar and control on bass slightly better only.
This morning i wake up and thought maybe parallell is not best for me and my system... The rest of the story you know. Cheers

in parallel, the gain is the same, output impedance decreases. This makes more current available to control the speaker load. So the bass tightens up but there isn't more voltage to swing that current more.

What do you mean by "bridged"? Balanced mode? If so, this will provide a larger voltage swing but result in a larger output impedance. So more gain but less control. The bass may sound boomier.

I very much liked the spookiness of the ACAs in balanced mode but with the ported parallel driver design of the speakers I'm using, the bass was way too pronounced and very ill-defined. Not sure what speakers you're using but unless they present a highly capacitive load (like an ESL) the ACAs should operate with no harm to them.

The balanced mode of the ACAs gave me enough taste to go down the rabbit hole of attempting to build up some 1st Watt clones that can operate with authority in balanced mode. I liked the balanced ACA monoblocks that much.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
6sx7 thanxs speakers are 164 nomex

I posted the impedance and phase curve but they went up the pages, so you could not see it. I gave a try as mono bridged (rca input as per manual) and in fact bass became enveloping but list a bit of control as you said. Now back to parallell for a while. The bridged way was btw nice as no squelchy sound at turn on :)
But this does not drive the decision ultimately

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I would be grateful for confirmation on the following schematics " that I do not require the resistor modification" on the ACA clone schematic. I have attached the ACA clone schematic and the ACA V1.6 schematic. My brain says that they are equivalent in the area of R116 vs R15. See attached

Thanks
MM

View attachment ACA-AMP_V1_SCH.pdf

ACA V1.6.jpg

ACA no sound here are measurements

Hi guys, I can't find the post I just submitted. I completed my second ACA to hear them in mono but not getting any sound. I may have a solder bridge on the RCA connectors so I pulled them and have the RCA wires free and not touching anything. Here is what I am getting from step 56 Trouble shooting. I pulled the boards and can not see any solder bridges. Help please.

Right board
Q1 a 2mv
Q1 b. .3mv
Q1 c. 18.05

Q2 109mv
Q2 b 20mv but moving
Q2 C .4mv

Left board
Q1 a.1 mv
Q1 b.3 mv
Q1 c 17.96 volts

Q2 a. 119mv
Q2 b 23.99 volts
Q2 c .3mv

Any thoughts?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I can't follow the readings tbh.

Q1 and Q2 are power FET's. Q2 must see full supply voltage on the middle lead which is the Drain (so 19 or 24v depending on which PSU you use).

The readings don't compute :) You show Q1 with 18 volts and yet Q2 with almost nothing.

What does a,b and c mean?

ACA no sound

I am confused on how to trouble shoot. I am looking at the chart from step 56 showing resistance checks. Do I have power on or do I measure without any power? Do I ground the black lead and use the red one to touch the resistor leads to check Ohms?

I also noticed my new ACA kit came with a brown capacitor at C2 where the older kit that works, has a black capacitor at C2.

Thanks

Resistance checks are with power off, no speakers or inputs connected.
Voltage checks are with power on (no speakers or inputs connected).

Negative -Ve black to GND and positive +ve Red to test point. The range settings are written on the trouble shooting sheets.
Maybe look at some digital meter tutorials on YouTube etc.

Make sure components are in the correct positions and right way round etc. It might help if you post good pictures of your build.

Do not worry about capacitor colours.

Alan